• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Todfish

Please advise - Hiring Decisions

I work for a small Virginia-based company and based on a recent promotion, have been asked to participate in the selection process for employees who will report directly to me. I currently have 4 vacancies for positions that require significant travel (20 weeks annually).

After several interviews, I recently recommended an applicant for hire. My recommendation, however, was not accepted because this individual disclosed (we did not ask) during the interview that s/he has a spouse and infant. The reasoning given me was that s/he would almost certainly want to back-out of the travel after a short period of time due to family obligations.

I, along with several others who interviewed this individual, specifically asked if the travel would be a problem and we were assured by the applicant that this would not be an issue.

Can anyone offer advice? I do not control the final decision, but do want to know if this is legal or not.

L

loku

It is probably legal. First of all, having a family is not a protected status as far as the specific laws on discrimination—age, religion, race, etc. Secondly, if the job consists of a lot of travel, and if the company experience is that persons with such a family more often “back out of traveling” than persons without such a family, then it is probably is a valid determination. The company should try and hire the persons best suited for the position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">