• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Delayed for Drug Testing Results (taking prescribed Adderall)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janba

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello,

I accepted a job offer for an office job that was contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug testing/health screening that included nicotine testing.

I was a smoker and quit for this job. I passed the nicotine testing, but it came up positive because I take prescribed Adderall XR for adult add.

I brought my prescription bottle, dr. info etc.. to my testing and they did not want any of it. The process was that the pre-employment testing was stopped in the middle and I could not finish until I received a call from an MRO asking for the information. I was told I would get the call before March 24 (my start date). I have not heard anything still and it's March 25th. I missed my start date and I'm out of a job as of now. I keep contacting the HR department and they say they do not have any results back yet.

I feel like this has invaded my privacy without specifically telling people why. HR now knows there's a problem, my department knows there's problem, my friends and family want to know why I didn't start my new job. I have to make up stories why. I don't want to tell ANYONE I am taking this medication, I don't want to tell them I didn't start my job because of a drug testing problem and I'm just devastated over this whole ordeal.

I have quit taking my medication because what I'm going through is far beyond any symptoms of add i have ever experienced. I never told the Dr. I have ADD, I never asked for a prescription for Adderall. I was just told, "you have adult add. Take this.." and look where it has got me. JOBLESS!!

This testing was for a hospital job. I was under the assumption that the information that would be relayed would be "pass" or "fail" to my prospective employer. I feel like the delay causes raised eyebrows.

I don't know if I should just look for a new job, wait it out, or what?

Any advice?What is the name of your state?

Beth3

I'm sorry this happened but nothing illegal has transpired nor was this an invasion of your privacy. If the MRO is taking his time about contacting you to discuss the test results and ask about any "positives" in your drug test, that's just the way it is. If you don't want to tell your family and friend's you're taking a prescription medication and why, that's entirely your choice.

Yes, you should start looking for a new job. That's much better than just waiting around to see if this one comes through. (I'd also suggest you see a qualified physician to determine whether you actually have ADD at all and if so, what medication, if any, you should be taking.) Good luck.

brad77

Privacy?

I don't mean to change the subject somewhat, but this falls sort of inline of what happened to me. I was told I was hired on full time, was told to go take a drug test...and when I went to take the test I was fully prepared to tell them what medications I was taking, which is Adderall XR....but when I gave my urine sample she told me I was done. I said what about who do I tell about medication I am taking? She said if they have any questions I they will give you a call. This was on a Thursday, I went to work Friday and then I was on a mini vaca on Monday through Wednesday. So my husband and I are on our way home when I get a call from my supervisor telling me that drug test came back positive for amphetamines...awkward....I was not prepared to discuss this with someone that I see everyday. Like this other guy, I am very private when it comes to that kind of stuff.....my husband says it is because I think I'm perfect:p...but No Really, that of course is not the reason, that kind of stuff is private, to me anyways. So I say to him, no one even asked me about medications I may be taking? He said call Bill @ corporate and discuss it with him, so I do. I tell him I am taking prescription meds and I was never given the opp to discuss this with anyone. I told him that I was taking adderall xr for add. He said well, I don't know anything about that, but a start would be for you bring your meds to my boss (that again I see everyday!) Well I was not in town and he said that I could get my doc to call my boss or fax him a letter. So thats I what I do....because......I am freaking out!!!! So my doc faxes my boss a letter. In the meantime, corporate has called my supervisor back and asked him to find out what I am taking the medication for, so he calls and says exactly that, I answer and we get off the phone. The fax comes in, which one of my coworkers got off the fax machine and gave to my boss and my supervisor. In turn they send to the corporate office, which is reviewed I know by "Bill" and now also Sandy and who know who else. Which in turn they call my supervisor and say they will look into it and let him know, who in turn call me and says I'll let you know as soon as they let me know, probably in the morning. Oh yeah, I was also told I could not come into work until this was all resolved. So morning comes after a looooooo-oooong night, and my supervisor call first thing and says, they are all very sorry and say I can come back asap.

So, I know I make it sound like that was that, and it went so fast, but it was quite the opposite. I know they say if you have not done anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about, but I know find new meaning to that saying......bs....just wait till it's you. I felt like my entire medical history was an open book, I thought this was supposed to discussed with the lab that gives the test and that is it, and my company would not even know what meds I am taking. But it was not like that at all, now at least five people that I work with know things about me that I don't even discuss with my mother. I just feel like the orders of operation went a-whack here. Am I wrong, is this standard procedure? Should I have had to discuss all this with my coworkers? In my opinion the fault lies with the lab that gave the test. I need some advice. Can I take action against them on this matter? If so, on what grounds? Where should I begin? Thanks!

racer72

Dude, necroposting is a no-no, this thread is 5 months old and the OP is long gone. Start your own thread if you have a question. If you do start you own thread, make it a whole lot shorter if you want an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">