• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peterw

I live in Contra Costa County, CA. Up until May 1999, I worked for the County in their Info Services Dept. My wife was transferred to Hawaii for her job for 8 months so we moved there. I first asked for a leave of absence and was denied that so I had to resign.

I was told by the head of the dept that I had a good work record and could reapply any time within a year and be automatically rehired or put at the head of the rehire list. In Nov 1999, I wrote to my old supervisor about being rehired for my position. He seemed open, but said there was one manager who had issues with me because I had questioned his decisions at a meeting and almost flew into a rage. At first, it seemed they would rehire me after I gave them assurances that I would not cause any more trouble liek that. Eventually, this manager denied my rehire and my old supervisor wrote me and said I had been denied rehire.

I wrote to the head of the dept and expressed my disappointment and felt that the decision was unfair to me. He wrote back and agreed with me that the decision WAS unfair. I returned to CA from Hawaii in Jan 2000 and appealed the decision with the County HR dept. I presented them with the emails that I had and my performance history and they granted my appeal in May 2000. I was told that I would be at the top of the list for rehires and worked for the Census waiting to be recalled. It is now Oct and I have not heard from them.

My question is do I have a case for discrimination, not based on race (I am Chinese/American) but based on rank? A manager at a different rank above me denied my rehire based solely on a grudge that he held from a meeting where I questioned his authority? Can I sue the County for lost wages? I have print outs of the emails that I sent to my manager and head of the dept including their comments to each other and it is clear that the decision was made by the manager who held a grudge against me.

thank you

Peter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">