• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This hiring discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

conerby

Florida is the state in which I'm applying.

In jobs ads they will state: "Not considering local candiates at this time". Is this a form of discrimination?

Your help is greatly appeciated!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

conerby said:
Florida is the state in which I'm applying.

In jobs ads they will state: "Not considering local candiates at this time". Is this a form of discrimination?

Your help is greatly appeciated!

My response:

Would you please expand on your post? What is the job, and who is saying this?

Also, please tell us if this is a private sector, or governmental, position.

IAAL

C

conerby

There are many jobs posted on monster.com, dice.com etc. I'm looking at mostly computer work so that is all I can vouch for. But I've had the actually people state that they are looking for local candidates only.

These are private sector positions. So basically non-government positions. I've seen it for both direct hire and contract work.

Thanks

Chris

JETX

"In jobs ads they will state: "Not considering local candiates at this time". Is this a form of discrimination?"
*** Yes, it is discriminating against local hires. However, it is not a prohibited discrimination. Those are set by state and/or federal law and are based on race, nationality, creed, color, age, sex or sexual orientation.

C

conerby

I'm sorry it's actually:

"Only considering local candidates at this time"

Ok so for Florida does anyone know if this is legal discrimination or not?

nextwife

I wouldn't be surprised if the longevity of persons staying in this position is iffy and they don't want people relocating for it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What you describe is legal in Florida and in every one of the other 49 states as well.

Beth3

FYI - the reason the employer is doing this is because (a) they believe there is a sufficient pool of qualified candidates in their geographical area and (b) they want to avoid the time, hassle, and expense of interviewing candidates out of the area and relocating them. Keep in mind that when an employer puts an ad on an internet site - especially a board like monsterboard.com, it's seen all over the world. Unless they put "local candidates only" in the ad, they end up getting resumes from Russia, India, Japan, Canada, from all over the U.S., etc.

In any event, it's perfectly legal. I have put that in employment ads myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">