• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayintx

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently contacted a former employer regarding a recent job opening. I was told that it was the companies policy not to rehire former employees. I was somewhat startled by this answer and questioned the fact that at least two former employers had been rehired; one who had been released for alcholism and another for failing a drug test. At this point the response was that the office manager was handling office personnel and he would have a decision in office employee hiring. I responded that I had spoken with the office manager prior to this call and he indicated a willingness to have me join his staff.

I want to know if this sounds like discrimination? I had previously been employed by this company for almost 20 years and was originally layed off about 5 years ago and the reason I was given was that the newly formed position I had been assigned to was being terminated and the department closed and that the company would save the expense of my salary by releasing me. I was told that I would be eligible for rehire if an opening existed.

ecmst12

They don't have to re hire you if they don't want to. Nothing you posted indicates any type of illegal discrimination.

Betty

Nope, no illegal discrimination. Just because they hired two other former employees doesn't mean they have to hire you or all former employees. It's their decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">