• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring Discrimination.. Creed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keith Greene

Florida Law Issue- I understand that no employer is permitted by law to discriminate based on creed. So, could a person's creed consist of their idological persuasions? If they don't, then the the following questions are moot. However, if they do, then is it legally permissible for an employer to rescind someones recruitment, only after finding out their political affiliation? If so, does this apply to public officials? If so, what is the proper recourse to document a complaint? If not, I thank you for your counsel.

BelizeBreeze

Keith Greene said:
Florida Law Issue- I understand that no employer is permitted by law to discriminate based on creed. So, could a person's creed consist of their idological persuasions? If they don't, then the the following questions are moot. However, if they do, then is it legally permissible for an employer to rescind someones recruitment, only after finding out their political affiliation? If so, does this apply to public officials? If so, what is the proper recourse to document a complaint? If not, I thank you for your counsel.
If you have a specific question, regarding a specific situation, affecting a specific person, then ask it.
Otherwise, it's a homework assignment that won't get done here.

Keith Greene

Fair Request

I was offered a position as a legislative aid, which I accepted. In the informal interview, I asked if political affiliation could potentially hurt me in the future, should I want to work for an other party, or if my ideology was a factor that he was concerned with, both of which he said no. I was told that I would start the position as soon as they received the funding approval, however, once after a month of calls confirming that I would be his aid, all communications on his part ended. I was told by a mutual acquaintance that he finally found out that I was not a member of his political party. I suspect that if I offered to change my party, he would be give me the position. Should I do that, and if he agrees, does that prove that I was discriminated against?

BelizeBreeze

Keith Greene said:
I was offered a position as a legislative aid, which I accepted. In the informal interview, I asked if political affiliation could potentially hurt me in the future, should I want to work for an other party, or if my ideology was a factor that he was concerned with, both of which he said no. I was told that I would start the position as soon as they received the funding approval, however, once after a month of calls confirming that I would be his aid, all communications on his part ended. I was told by a mutual acquaintance that he finally found out that I was not a member of his political party. I suspect that if I offered to change my party, he would be give me the position. Should I do that, and if he agrees, does that prove that I was discriminated against?
You can change your political affiliation, your address and even your dirty shorts and it won't mean that you have been discriminated against. You have no case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are only two states plus the District of Columbia where political affiliation is protected, and Florida is not one of them.

Even in DC, someone on the staff of, say, Hilary Clinton, could technically be fired if they were to decide to join the GOP. An employer is not required to keep someone on their staff if that person is not going to be able to work in the employer's best interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">