• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring and firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lilly C

i was fired on 10/99 in tucson arizona without cause. is it too late to file an eeoc claim. i went to a labor lawyer right after it happened, but she told me that since arizona is a right to work state, that there was nothing i could do.

L

loku

Arizona an at-will state

Arizona is an “at-will” state, which means that unless you had a contract of employment that specified otherwise, the employer could fire you at will, without a reason. Therefore, there is nothing you can do about it.

Following is the applicable excerpt from the Arizona Labor Code:
23-1501. Severability of employment relationships; protection from retaliatory discharges; exclusivity of statutory remedies in employment
The public policy of this state is that:
1. The employment relationship is contractual in nature.
2. The employment relationship is severable at the pleasure of either the employee or the employer unless both the employee and the employer have signed a written contract to the contrary setting forth that the employment relationship shall remain in effect for a specified duration of time or otherwise expressly restricting the right of either party to terminate the employment relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">