• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring and layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sale101

The question I have is in regards to hiring and layoff pratices. To make a long story short. there were 2 managers in my department. My company hired an old employee back and layed off my co worker with in 1 day apart. I had told her to seek legal advice because they may have been discriminated against. they had no real just cause for her termination. They did the old employment trick of offering her a different position a demotion. which she in turn told them that she would be unable to take due to less pay and company car being part of her negociation. I am now feel the same action is being ploted against myself. A co-worker of mine called me on my cell phone and told me that a ex-employee that was fired from my position was rehired in a demoted job. I soon found out that this was true and felt upset over the situation. What should I Do???? This is a large corporation in the U.S. that is run like a mom and pop operation. Their main goal is money, they want is short term sucess. It gets to the point where I am forced to lower my values to gain their money and profits they are looking for, at the customers expense. This mentality as caused them to lose business every year. Through out the company there is massive turnour in various jobs.

My questions are as follows.

1- what can I do to protect myself against this action.

2- I am afraid to goto my direct supervisor or corporate human resources to address my issue. In case it would be used against me. they work for the company and of course will deny this and side with company

3- My direct supervisor has on multiple occasions made snide comments to me like. "wow I am glad you met your goal for this week - you can keep your job, would hate to look for a new manager, ect.."

4- I have been with the company for over 1 year and promoted to 3 different positions for doing a good job. I have been at my present position for about 6-8 months & would like to stay there.

5- when I was hired into my new sales manager position. I was not given any training or guidence what their expecations were. I have addressed this issue on several occations with no response.

6- Lastly if I do get demoted or layed off what are my legal options. Can they demote me and reduce my pay to put a past employee back in his position?

7- Please give me as much feed back as you can

Thank You,

Sale101:confused:

L

loku

1- WHAT CAN I DO TO PROTECT MYSELF AGAINST THIS ACTION (BEING DEMOTED OR QUITTING).
Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

2- I AM AFRAID TO GO TO MY DIRECT SUPERVISOR OR CORPORATE HUMAN RESOURCES TO ADDRESS MY ISSUE. IN CASE IT WOULD BE USED AGAINST ME. THEY WORK FOR THE COMPANY AND OF COURSE WILL DENY THIS AND SIDE WITH COMPANY
I think you are certainly correct in fearing this.

5- when I was hired into my new sales manager position. I was not given any training or guidence what their expecations were. I have addressed this issue on several occations with no response.
If other employees in your position have been given such training or guidance, and the reason you are singled out is because of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, or gender, then you have a discrimination case.

6- Lastly if I do get demoted or layed off what are my legal options. Can they demote me and reduce my pay to put a past employee back in his position?
See the answer to number 1, above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">