• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring practice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmx250

Hawaii...
I have been told that under no circumstance can an employer ask you your date of birth before offer of employment. I applied for a management position in a national Rest. Chain and went through two levels of management interviews and then was psychologically tested for potential worthiness and told it would take about a week for results.At end of week I am called and told that they would like to make an offer and that I had to be checked by their HR department through a background investigation. I signed forms and said Ok....about a week later I am called and told some changes have been made and that I have to interview one more time with the owner. I say, Gladly and show up for third interview only to find out its not with owner but with a new person altogether that was filling in for or replacing the gentleman I had interviewed the second time with , and that he had been let go. I agreed to third interview, it went well I thought and then I find out they never did the background check and they asked me to sign forms to okay the search. I sign... and go home.....
Four days later I am called by HR department and told they need my birthdate for the investigation....They state its not legal but that I had a choice of giving it to them or calling the investigation company myself with the Birthdate... said they couldn't do investigation without date.... They have My SS #... my 13 year old could get my birthdate on the computer without asking me for it on the phone..... even after I gave them the number they called a second time and told tme they transposed the # and needed it again...... after all was aid and done. I was called and offered a very nominal position, not in managemnet and I think age was the factor, I am 48 and don't look it...\Please advise if anything illegal took place...
(I have recorded messages of them asking for my date.) twice..
Thanks
Tom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">