• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hirng

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

margo802

What is the name of your state? Vermont
My boyfriend was hired by a company; after about 10 weeks on the job, he mentioned to a foreman that he was having discomfort from lifting the allets he was building. The supervisor came to him, told him to puch out because he had no work for him. Bill had also applied for a computer job at the place, when he has called over the past 2 weeks, they say he is still in the computer as an employee, yet he has no positon and no money coming in. is this legal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

When such an occurrence happens, it's called "constructive termination". Either apply for unemployment insurance, or find a new job.

IAAL

Beth3

"is this legal?" Yes. Discharging him (which is what happened) because he complained about the work is not illegal. Nor do they have to consider him for another position he expressed an interest in.

Your BF should file for UC and should start looking for another job.

P.S. If the "discomfort" he told his supervisor about was actually notification that he had been injured on the job, needed to file a WC claim, and he was discharged as a result, that is prohibited retalliation and he should contact his State's WC Division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">