• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile/Violent working conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aprilsummers

I work for a small but growing co. in Missouri. My boss, who also is one of the owners of the company, is verbally abusive to almost everyone, including me, he is also known to kick/throw/punch walls, chairs, etc.
He actually has physically threatened others in the office, but shrugs everything off as a joke. Obviously, this is no way for an employer to behave, but is there any legal recourse for creating an environment where employees feel physically threatened? What type of evidence is neccessary?

K

kyjo

I'm not a lawyer.
Based on what you say, this is a classic case of having to work in a "hostile environment", directly created by management. Your first step should be to contact the EEOC, immediately. If you are comfortable that your co workers will support your claim, your collective statements should be the only "evidence" that you need. If the company response is appropriate, this should be the last step as well. If they don't, you will probably need to contact a lawyer.
I realize that this action is very scarey, but the alternatives are 1) continue to deal with it 2) look for another job.
Best of luck!

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">