• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bboyle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum so I apologize in advance if its not. Recently a new man was hired at my husbands place of business. This man makes no secret of the fact that he is trying to become part of a gang, and the only thing left for him to do is to "prove" himself by an act of violence. He has made several threats against my huband and other employees in front of witnesses, and carries a knife in his boot without a concealed weapons permit. The managers, and even the business owner, have been made aware of every occasion that this man makes threats, but they have yet to even issue a written warning, let alone anything else to resolve the issue. Aren't employers required to keep things like this from happening in the workplace? What channels, if any, can we go through so that my husband and his coworkers feel comfortable going to work?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, the term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning under the law, and what you have posted does not meet that definition.

What kind of threats? Examples please? It makes a difference to the answer.

bboyle

The threats include everything from damaging the employees car, coming back to the dealership after closing (on his day off) to jump them, bringing his gang members along to fight, he actually came after one man in the middle of the showroom and three other guys had to jump in the middle to keep him off. Mostly physically violent threats. Does that help?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It helps me but it doesn't help your husband, I'm afraid.

Nothing that you have posted falls under employment law or under the employer's responsibility. Your husband may well be able to talk to the police and take legal action about the damage to the car or the threats of violence, but until or unless there is actual physical harm (and depending on exact circumstances maybe not even then) the employer has no legal obligation to take action.

And with all due respect, unless your husband is in HR and has access to the employee's personnel files, he has no way of knowing whether a warning has been issued or not. There is NO obligation WHATSOEVER on the part of the employer to make any discipline public or to notify him of what action was taken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">