• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Workplace & I Want Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CreativeHat

I accepted a Technical Writing position to move from Texas to California in January. The employment agreeement included $13,000 relocation expenses, which I have to pay back prorated if I elect to leave the first 2 years.

The problem is that the CEO has made our small office (30 employees) a hostile working environment. Derogatory comments about homosexuals, ethnic groups, overweight individuals, and sexually inappropriate sneers occur on a daily basis. He also makes a practice on eavesdropping outside people's offices, snooping through people's desks, etc. The last four people to leave the company were women, all of whom were pushed out the door and forced into quitting. The last was a marketing VP who was put on probation for threatening to file charges of sexual harassment (she is willing to assist me if I need her). Also, he has made comments to my supervisor that I should be pressured into working over 40 hours per week (despite the fact that I am not late on any assignments), citing the current recession and job security as a reason for my supervisor to push me. The latest issue has been my using an empty office to make a personal phone call (the CEO asked my supervisor to put an end to this).

When I was offered the job, I was told (not in writing) that the office had a generous flex hour/telecommuting policy, and that I could expect to telecommute one day per week, and work 4 10 hour days (making it only 3 days per week in the office). That turned out to be bogus, and the official policy in the office is that everyone is to work a 8+hour day, written up if arriving later than 10 am, an absolutely no telecommuting.

How can I get out of this job without having to repay the relocation. I want to return to Texas (and will pay to move back out of pocket), but feel I shouldn't have to repay if the work environment is so hostile.

T

troynsam

hostile workplace

A hostile working environment constitutes harrasment, and is therefore illegal in most states. Sexual harrasment is defined as unwanted and/or repetetive sexual advances that would make the victim feel threatened to lose position, or fear denial of advancement or compensation. Sounds like you may have grounds for litigation, with an attorney's help. Documentation of all hostile or threatening actions should be made.

JETX

In reading your post, it appears that the initial written agreement (if that is what it was) may have been breached. If that is the case, then it is possible that your 'employment agreement' (if that is what IT was) may be voidable.

In any case, you need to take ALL your documents to an attorney and have him/her review them to see if there is a break in the chain of agreements.

If so, then the 'agency' may be forced to go after the employer for a refund of the relocation funds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">