• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours Cut to 0 because of Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cch92

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Recently my dad was wrongfully fired from the company he worked at. He has already been to Unemployment and they confirmed that he was wrongfully terminated. My brother (a minor) and my sister both work for this company (a franchise of a larger company). The Saturday after my dad was fired, they were told not to come in and that they were would be taken off the schedule "because of the growing animosity". They have not been officially fired nor have they quit. They still have zero hours almost three weeks later, and the owner has no plan to allow them to work again. I was wondering if there is any law against this? They are doing this to my siblings because of my father (who doesn't even live with us). Any help would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:

ecmst12

Being approved for unemployment benefits does NOT mean that he was wrongfully terminated. And your siblings have not been wrongfully terminated either, however they should file for unemployment immediately and start looking for new jobs. You don't need to receive any official termination notice to qualify for unemployment. They're not on the schedule and they're not working and they didn't quit, so they can file.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your dad is telling you that the UI office said to him that he was wrongfully terminated, then at best he misunderstood and at worst he is lying to you. The UI office is not charged with determining whether an employee was "wrongfully terminated"; it determines whether his termination was for a reason that qualifies him or disqualifies him for UI benefits. Prevailing in a UI claim does NOT mean that his termination was wrongful (illegal). The vast majority of people collecting UI were legally (i.e. not wrongfully) termed.

No law has been violated and no protected rights have been violated based on your post. Please google, at-will employment.

jiggy78

Unemployment is the best you're going to do. Don't let anybody from the company tell them they shouldn't file because they haven't been "officially" fired. (yes some employers will try this). Look for a new job and remember to certify every week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">