• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can they fire me for this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solorider

What is the name of your state?indiana I worked for a major corporation with a union. I had to go to the emergancy room for adb. pain they gave me a return to work slip signed by the nurse and the doctor. work would not accept it because of the nurses signature. it is my understand that hipaa laws says that the employer only need to know that you have been treated and that is it. our contract state that the date of treatment, that you were unable to work,that you were ill, and doctors sign or stamp. i followed the guideline and got fired for it. are they in the wrong?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, they weren't, at least under the law. I can't comment about your contract as I haven't read it.

First of all, your understanding of HIPAA is incorrect. The employer is entitled to any information that relates to your ability to return to work, which can include considerably more information that simply that you were treated. If there are any restrictions you have to follow with regards to duties, hours, etc., they have to be aware of that. A note that you were treated does NOT say that you are able to return to work with no restrictions, or some restrictions.

What does your union say?

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
No, they weren't, at least under the law. I can't comment about your contract as I haven't read it.

First of all, your understanding of HIPAA is incorrect. The employer is entitled to any information that relates to your ability to return to work, which can include considerably more information that simply that you were treated. If there are any restrictions you have to follow with regards to duties, hours, etc., they have to be aware of that. A note that you were treated does NOT say that you are able to return to work with no restrictions, or some restrictions.

What does your union say?
especially from a nurse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">