• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How far back can they go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Omaticken

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was convicted of OUIL over 15 years ago. Do I have to indicate that on an employment application where it askes me if I have ever had my license revoked or suspended???

Beth3

Yes, you do, unless a shorter and specific time period is specified on the application form. If the application asks if you've ever had your license revoked or suspended, they do indeed me EVER.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They can ask you what grades you got in building blocks in kindergarden if they want to. The law does not limit how far back they can ask you for information on an application.

Now, if they are asking a third party to run a background check on you, depending on circumstances and what state you are in there MAY be a time limit on how far back they can USE the information. But asking for it and using it are not the same thing.

blott78

I recall in a job search class that there are certain things that are illegal to ask on employement applications. I don't really recall what though.

Beth3

There are certain things that are inadvisable to ask on an application form. This isn't one of them however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">