• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long after an appeal to recieve benefits? Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ofantastic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Just curious if anyone knew, as everyone on the phone lines is giving me different answers.

I had an appeal last week, and received the approval two days later (the 24th, but the approval was set in the system the 22nd). The appeals office told me that they regularly update their systems every 48 hours and it had already updated in my case.

Just curious how long will it take to get back pay benefits in Florida? I called the claims office and they said it hadn't been updated yet.

Thanks.

commentator

Usually there are certain days of the week when checks are written by the system, so if you were due a check, about a week would be an appropriate wait, to allow for whatever day the checks were written by the system. This also assumes your claim is open in the system, and your address is correct.

This particular time of year it is really really busy in any unemployment system, as they are dealing not only with the unemployed, but those who are laid off for the week during the holidays. So they might be a bit further behind this time of year than any other.

As I said, a week should be appropriate wait time, as that will get in all the nightly check runs to be made. If the check is much later than that, you should continue to call in and check on it, because there is a possibility the person forgot to change your code when they approved you.

Oh, by the way, you have been making your weekly certifications for benefits after each week passes, haven't you? This should have been happening during the whole appeals process, so that when your claim is approved by decision, you'll have weeks certified for to be back paid. If not, your claim will start up at the time of your approval with the next week, after you make your weekly certification for benefits.

ofantastic

Yes. I have been making my claims every week. It's about 10 weeks backed up right now. I called the appeals office and they said my claim change has already been sent to the claims office, but they said, yesterday, it has yet to be changed. It's been over a week, so was just curious. :)

I also have direct deposit. :)

csi7

It can take up to two weeks for the backpay to be direct deposit. Once you are in the system, it can take two-three days after you submit your claim for the money to be direct deposit.

GonzoFL

Don't let Florida AWI drag their feet to long on your back claim. Their computer system is horribly dated and unless you talk to the right people,you tend to get no where fast. Florida AWI cuts checks on Mondays and Tuesdays and you should see an update to your online account the same afternoon the check is cut. Like I mentioned above,don't sit back and just wait,the different departments within AWI do not tend to talk to each other. If you don't see an update or receive a check by mid next week,feel free to call AWI Department Director,Barb Griffith at 850-245-7137. She or one of her assistants will be glad to help you. I'm not being sarcastic either,she really does try. If she can't get the answer you need...she will research it until she does. Good luck with your claim.

ofantastic

I ended up calling and leaving a VM for a lady at the UI office. She actually called me back and asked me to fax my appeal letter to her so "she could get the ball rolling". Just did, now waiting for her to call me again.

Woot. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">