• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can an employer keep you out on un-employment benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristine30

Washington State, my employer has had a bunch of the hourly empoyee's collecting un-employment benefits for over 3 years now, now that the one benefit has been used up we are all on full un-employment and will not be compesated unless we miss the entire work week. My question is is this a legal practice? Our co-pays on our health insurance is now not being paid, due to the fact that we aren't working, but yet aren't being allowed to work. How long can my employer keep doing this as I just can't go get another job, as technically I'm still employed, but if I outright quit I will no longer receive un-employment benefits, or get the severance package.

Beth3

Huh? I don't think you and these others have been on layoff and receiving UC benefits for three straight years. I'm guessing you have been intermittently laid off and collect UC benefits while you are off work, correct?

Your employer isn't doing anything remotely illegal. I have no idea why you are assuming you have to quit your job before you can start looking for another one but obviously that's not the case. If you don't care for these intermittent layoffs, then by all means start looking for a new job. When you find one that will provide a consistent work schedule and accept an offer, THEN quit the job you have.

Your employer can keep doing this for as long as they wish and for as long as you and chose to stay in their employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">