• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HR behavior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TMN27

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am employed by a municipality in my town in one of the many departments. Recently a position was posted in the town hall for admin sec. Due to my past background in admin secretarial experience I applied. My boss told me I was on the short list to be interviewed. Never heard anything in fact it took several emails to get the HR person to finally respond 12 days later with a curt response there would be no interview for me as they "decided" on interviewing candidates with municipality and legal experience (neither of which was on the job posting). Aside from personally feeling slighted about not being given the opportunity to interview I was more offended by the lack of courtesy of a declination phone call nor even a letter. Having been employed for more than 5 years with is town I feel it was in very poor taste and extremely rude to be treated this way. I would like to set a precedent for future employees who may apply for openings in the future. Any legal advice on this other than.........oh well.......thats how they do it....move on?

Thank you for your time.....please be kind......I am upset as it is.
TMN

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I agree that the situation was handled badly, unless the municipal contract has been violated (which you do not suggest) I don't see any legal course of action for you. Nothing in the law requires that you be interviewed for any particular position, even if your boss tells you that you're on the short list. I agree that you should have been notified of the change, but it does not give you cause for suit that you were not.

T

TMN27

HR Behavior

Thank you for your reply. I am in the process of obtaining information in regards to the municipal contract wording. It's obviously more of a courtesy issue than anything else..sadly.

Thanks again!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">