• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hrs/on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roy Seals

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

After working at a private boarding school as a Dean & coach for ten years, my current employer has made reference to increasing my work hours/on call hours to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with one evening off per 7 days and two weekends off per month. This is double the hours I currently work or am on call. There will be no increase in pay and it is a salaried/no over time.I do not feel that this is legitimate or fair nor healthy mentally, physically or emotionally. In previous years I have had an assistant and they are wanting to cut back on the assistants time they work in the dorm. Is this legal to require this many hours?
Thanks,
Roy

pattytx

Generally speaking, exempt employees (I am assuming you are exempt, since you said you are salaried, and most people confuse the two), can be required to work any hours the employer deems required without any additional pay.

However, Wisconsin does have a "One Day Rest in Seven" regulation that you can read about here: http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/er/labor_standards_bureau/publication_erd_4906_pweb.htm

You can contact the Wisconsin Dept. of Labor to see if the requirements of your particular "on call" status would be interpreted as "working" in relationship to this law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">