• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was husband wrongfully or illegally fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cryket03

I live in Arizona and my husband has been working for his company for over 2 years. He had worked for them previously also for over a year and has nothing but a clear record with the company. A new boss came into the company and he and her have had many disputes on how he is doing his job(not to mention she has not worked in this department before her new position). One day he and her got into an argument and there is a flury of comments on what the conversation REALLY entitled. My husband claims that he and her were arguing and he stated that he "needed to leave before he broke something" and walked away from it...not to let it go any further...well this lady ran to the branch manager and claimed he threatend to kill her...there were several other people who heard the conversation and have versions of what they heard...two weeks later he was let go...they have not informed him officially of why he was terminated and have not given him any paperwork regarding an investigation (if there was one) and what conclusion was made...he was allowed to state his case the day of the incident...but to no avail...i am wondering...can a company let him go without proof of any probable cause, or without informing him of why he has been terminated? is the practice they used legal..and if not...what can we do about it...or where can we go to get help...to fight what i believe is a wrong doing?

JETX

You asked, "can a company let him go without proof of any probable cause, or without informing him of why he has been terminated?"

Sorry, but the answer is yes. Your husbands employer has no obligation to explain or justify his termination.

And, unless your husband was discriminated against in one of the 'protected areas' (race, sex, age, religion, etc.), there is little, if anything, you can do.

This was clearly a difference of opinion between he and his supervisor (even given the confusion or error about what actually happened), I don't believe you have any legal basis for action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">