• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I believe I was fired unjustifiably, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greggory09

New York

I was fired yesterday for supposedly 'unprofessional' behavior observed in meetings and via email correspondence. What actually happened is that I was critical of management for the current state of affairs and that was frowned upon. Although I was one of the most productive and well-liked employees, the New manager (who previously brought one of our other offices to the ground) apparently was more bothered by my willingness to voice concerns than my productivity. Please let me know if I have a case or if I can do anything about this situation.

Thank you.

mlane58

New York

I was fired yesterday for supposedly 'unprofessional' behavior observed in meetings and via email correspondence. What actually happened is that I was critical of management for the current state of affairs and that was frowned upon. Although I was one of the most productive and well-liked employees, the New manager (who previously brought one of our other offices to the ground) apparently was more bothered by my willingness to voice concerns than my productivity. Please let me know if I have a case or if I can do anything about this situation.

Thank you.
A case for what? Come on, unless you have a bona fide contract or are part of a collective bagaining agreement, you are an at-will employee and can be fired for any reason as long as it isn't for your race, gender, age, religion, etc....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in the law requires that a termination be justified, only that it be legal. Nothing in your post suggests that anything illegal occurred.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New York

Thank you.
Constantly and opening criticizing your management IS unprofessional behavior.

Beth3

New York

Thank you.
You can apply for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new position. Your employer was free to terminate you for what they consider to be unprofessional conduct. (In the future, you perhaps should use better judgment in the manner and means by which you criticize management.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">