• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i believe someone where i work was promoted under false pretences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobster1994

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

not actually me but my stepfather rather. theres this guy where he works whose father-in-law is a manager there. said father in law promoted the guy to supervisor, and when asked why, he said that, "he needed the raise to pay to support his new son". the father in law mentioned nothing of skill when he said why he hired him, and my stepfather seems to be a better fit for that position, in both skill, experience, and management experience. I remember in one of my classes in high school there being some sort of law that states you cant hire someone for personal reasons. would the same apply in this situation?

Proserpina

not actually me but my stepfather rather. theres this guy where he works whose father-in-law is a manager there. said father in law promoted the guy to supervisor, and when asked why, he said that, "he needed the raise to pay to support his new son". the father in law mentioned nothing of skill when he said why he hired him, and my stepfather seems to be a better fit for that position, in both skill, experience, and management experience. I remember in one of my classes in high school there being some sort of law that states you cant hire someone for personal reasons. would the same apply in this situation?

You're mistaken. There is absolutely no law preventing an employer for hiring or promoting his/her best friend, gardener, dog-sitter, whatever.

CSO286

Nepotism or other favortism is not illegal. It may often go against general company policy (like having immedaite family members as direct reports), but it is not illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the political arena, there can be (and are) laws regarding nepotism. In the private sector, not so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">