• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I feel that I’ve been discriminated against and want to know what to do next

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fink

What is the name of your state? Florida

I went for a job interview and it went great and the General Manager was so impressed with my overall skills and experience that he recommended me on the spot for a supervisor position and told me that it best for the company and hated to see such great talent go to waste. He told me I would have to me with the store manager for a second interview in other to finalize everything. Four days later, the store manage called me and we spoke over the phone about the position and had agreed to me with me for the follow–up interview.

Once I arrived, he shook my hand and we briefly spoke about the position and eventually he turned me down, he even advised me to go look elsewhere for a much higher position.
He thoroughly explained the position to me, which I understood. And I shared with him my previous experience at one of my previous jobs, which was very similar in that fashion.
He claimed the expectations were too high and it would not be fair to me to start at such high level. I would have to start as a part-timer first, in order to see if he was fond of me and me of the company and from that point on he would then consider me for that position. He stated two of these positions were available and some of the employees had shown some interest and was considering them instead. He went on and made some irrelevant and very uncomfortable remarks about a previous employee and proceeded with his conclusion. He said if was still interested, to fill out an application and to keep in touch and that was the end of the interview.

Throughout our dialogue over the phone, he made no indication of his preferences and with whom he would rather fill the position with. After reviewing everything, I wrote the company a letter of complaint. Initially the man vas very enthusiastic about the meeting, since he claimed the general manager wrote some great things about me.

My questions are:

1. After all, is this legal?
2. What are the steps do I need to take?
3. Am I obligated to speak with any employee of that company? Since I just received an email from the General Manager requesting my phone and a good time to call in order to touch base with me.

Thank you,

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Of course it's legal. They are not obligated to offer you the job you want, or a job at all.

2.) Keep looking for another job.

3.) You are not obligated to to anything at all. But if you ever want to work for that company you'd do best not to burn your bridges. Your call.

BTW, your post title mentioned discrimination but there is nothing in your post that remotely suggests that illegal discrimination took place.

F

fink

I truly believe his decision was a bias one, since I didn’t look like what he was expecting and had came to a conclusion at the second that he met me and not prior and that’s why he didn’t offer me a job, not even the one I applied for. For when we spoke over the phone concerning the position I was interviewing for, he had welcomed the prospect of our meeting in order to finalize everything. He acknowledged what the general manager said about me as well as his recommendation. He did not make any references of any part-time position and nor did he address me with a discouraged tone as he did in person. And the way he referred to the previous employee “Some Porto Rican”. And when I told him I spoke French, he immediately wanted to know where I was born, which I told him.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you claiming that he did not hire you because of your national origin/race? Because you made no mention whatsoever of that in your initial post.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you don't provide us with all the facts, you can't expect us to give you an accurate answer. No one here reads minds, and we don't know anything about you or the situation except what you tell us.

Since we were not there, we cannot tell you that you definitely were or were not discriminated against. What I can tell you is that if you believe your race was a factor in the decision not to hire you, you can make a complaint to the EEOC and/or your state discrimination board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">