• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired,boss says I quit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GonzoFL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Dear FreeAdvice:

I am writing on behalf of a friend. She was laid off earlier this year because the company she was working for closed its doors. She filed for and was granted unemployment benefits. After collecting benefits for about 2 months,she found employment with another company. She began work for this new employer and had worked there about two months when the incident occurred. She was working alone in the office on a Friday afternoon. She locked up as required and went home for the weekend. Very early Saturday morning,she awoke with agonizing pain in here foot. She decided at that time to go to the local hospital emergency room. She was examined there and it was determined she was suffering from a serious infection in her foot. At that time,she was admitted to the hospital and put on IV antibiotics. Later that same day,she called her boss to tell her that she had been admitted to the hospital and did not know how long she was going to be there. Her boss was fine with this and told her if there was anything she needed, just ask. She remained in the hospital until Monday afternoon. Still being quite ill,she wasn't able to call here employer until Tuesday morning. She then call her employer and advised her that under Dr.'s orders she was not to return to work for 5 days. She has a script/note from the Dr. Her employer told her that's fine....we will see you next week. When my friend arrived at work the following Monday morning,she found that the door locks had been changed. She waited for appx. 20 min.'s for her employer to arrive and when she didn't she went home. She then called the office and spoke with her boss who informed her that there was money missing from the office,the police have been called and she was fired. MY friend knows nothing about any missing money and spoke to the Deputy who contacted her regarding the missing money. She told the Deputy the same thing and he told her that he had all the information he needed and most likely she wouldn't be hearing from him again...which she has not. My friend then re-filed for unemployment benefits and now stands a good chance(according to the lower level adjudicator) of being denied unemployment because her employer had first contended she was fired for theft......and now has added that she wasn't fired at all...she failed to call in or show up for work and therefore quit.
We respectfully ask for your legal opinion on this matter. She is aware that if denied,she can appeal....but the appeal process here in Florida is extremely slow(anywhere from 45 days and up) Any advise you could give us would be most helpful and appreciated.

Sincerely, J.M. Hess

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Seems to me I've already answered this one once before. If you're looking for a carved in stone answer, you're not going to get one. The only ones who can carve an answer in stone for you are the good folk at the state UI office. No one else can give you anything but an opinion, and as I told you the first time, our opinions are not binding on the state of Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">