• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired today because of hearsay..can I recieve umemployment benefits??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyenajean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I came into work as I always do,and one of my coworkers told me that I was supposed to leave my key and go home and talk to my boss in the morning. He told me I was not needed to work there anymore..That he has heard some things that other people has said. None of it is true,and he will not ask the people that I work with on my shift.Just the people on other shifts what they thought about me. Just what they supposedly heard. Can I get unemployment benefits even if he tries to fight it?? What is the best way to got about something like this?? Please Help!!!

Last edited:

pattytx

So, DID you leave based only on this co-worker's statement? Why in the heck would you do that? Did this co-worker have the authority to fire you? I'm missing something here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And without knowing what was said (or whether or not it is true) we can't even begin to guess about unemployment.

Hearsay is totally irrelevant in employment issues. The only place it matters whether something is or is not hearsay is in a court of law, and not always there.

commentator

Okay, I'm going to assume that the second "he" is your boss, that on the behest of your co-worker, you went to see your boss and HE said you weren't needed there any more.

This is good for your side. Because you were terminated without warning, and no reason was given. Which means you had no idea your job was in jeopardy.
What you do is go home and file for your unemployment benefits. On the reason for leaving, say, "I was told that I was not needed. Other people have told my boss some things. I do not know what the things are."

Now, if the things he was told are that they have seen you stealing. Or that you're clocking in and sleeping under the tables, or that you've been groping the other employees as they go out of the building...especially if he has a troop of people who will testify to such behavior, (which, incidentally, they can certainly present other worker's statements or testimony during a hearing, or have them present to testify) or a camera which shows you doing this whatever it is, then he may be able to prove he had a valid major misconduct reason to terminate you.

If it is just that he doesn't like your politics, or these people say you are a dope salesman or are unfaithful to your spouse, or are goofing off or taking bad about him behind his back...he doesn't have a major reason. You have a good chance of getting to draw benefits when fired for reasons such as this.

A lot will depend on several factors like these. Have you had any previous warning that your job was in jeopardy? Any write ups, any verbal warnings, did you violate any policies, take any chances with the rules lately? When he terminated you, you did ask him why, and make offers to correct the behavior, whatever it was, right?

And very important, how long have you worked during the last two years. If you don't have enough wages in the appropriate quarters, it won't matter, you won't get to draw, no matter what the reason you were terminated.

phase08

I’m also a little confused. I would never, ever turn in my key and leave the premises based on what a co-worker tells me! :eek:

Did you speak to your boss?
Who fired you and what was the specific reason given?
Were you given any information about your last paycheck, benefits, etc.?

This is crazy. “because of some things that were said” huh? :confused: That makes no sense. Most employers cover themselves better than that. There has to be more to this.

As far as unemployment – IF you were fired by someone in authority you need to file for UE immediately. (you can do it online) They will contact the employer and the employer must answer as to the specific reason you were fired.

GonzoFL

tyenajean,

Your question is more than a little vague. Between all the he said,they said remarks, this sounds more like a 3rd grade playground argument. There are some very learned people here that can help you if you provide then with enough information.

commentator

Incidentally, if I read this wrong, and you did go on home, based on your co-worker's comments, and did not talk to your boss...then he will say you voluntarily quit your job. And you will probably not be approved for benefits.

Because no one in the world should take the comments of a co-worker who is not your supervisor to mean they really were fired (people WILL lie to you, you know) and go ahead and abandon their position.

If this is not what happened, and you did talk to your employer, and he did fire you, you then immediately file for unemployment benefits. This means he has to present a good job related reason to terminate you from the job. Negative gossip of co-workers is probably not going to be a good enough one, particularly with no warnings or discussions with you about it.

But just leaving because your co worker says the boss says you are fired is the same as quitting, and in this case, you would have to prove you had a good job related reason to quit, and being told you were fired by a co worker isn't that.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">