• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired today. Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JerseyTom

My state is NJ

I was fired this morning. Yesterday I informed them I would not be coming in today because the a/c is not yet hooked up in the office they moved us into.

Keep in mind another sales guy & also the owner's son have not been moved down into the new office yet. They are still upstairs with working a/c. So why did they move anyone down there before the a/c is working? The office is VERY humid. This doesn't even get into the fact that none of us wanted to be moved or even see the point in moving us into this crap office they built down in the warehouse.

I got a voicemail from the owner this morning telling me that I am fired for not coming in. Keep in mind I do have asthma and extreme heat, humidity or cold will effect me. I did not mention the asthma thing till this morning when I called back, but they did know that I have asthma!! He also had the nerve to say that I am paid more than I "will ever make anywhere else" Um yea, I get paid approx $20k LESS than the average salary for my position (sales rep) in my area.

Anyway, is he within his legal rights to fire me for this?

Beth3

I was fired this morning. Yesterday I informed them I would not be coming in today because the a/c is not yet hooked up in the office they moved us into. That's your perogative but your employer also has the perogative to fire you for refusing to come to work.

Keep in mind another sales guy & also the owner's son have not been moved down into the new office yet. They are still upstairs with working a/c. So why did they move anyone down there before the a/c is working? You'd have to ask them.

This doesn't even get into the fact that none of us wanted to be moved or even see the point in moving us into this crap office they built down in the warehouse. Your opinion whether the move was a good idea is irrelevant.

Anyway, is he within his legal rights to fire me for this? Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">