• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was fired without valid reasons, pls help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caweena

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.
Last Friday, July 8th 2005, I was wrongfully terminated 3 weeks before end of my 6 months probation period. My contact promised an increase on my salary by the end of this period. I was given an option of either voluntarily resigned or being fired. They did not give me a valid reason for such termination, without any prior warning (neither written nor verbal), without documented history. I suspect this is defamation and discrimination against me.

I have to give them my final decision tomorrow, and am considering consulting a lawyer first. I don't know if I should file a stress claim, or negotiate with a settlement (eg, ask them to laid me off rather than firing me), or sue them.. please help me out here dear friends.. Really appreciate your help in advance

Beth3

caweena, this is not defamation, discrimination, a wrongful termination or any other illegal act on the part of your employer. Your employer does not need "just cause" (which is what I presume you mean by valid reason) to discharge you. If they feel things just aren't working out, they're free to let you go.

If you have a bonafide employment contract guaranteeing you employment for a certain period of time, then you may have civil recourse for a contract violation but nothing in your post suggests your employer has done anything unlawful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">