• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I found out I'm getting fired tomorrow? What if I don't show up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaguarswin

Indiana -

I am a retail manager for a large company, and have found out today from my store manager that he was told by our district manager to terminate my employment tomorrow (Thursday) based on "performance issues".

I have an approved paid vacation beginning this Saturday lasting for 10 days. My district manager told my store manager to fire me before I go on vacation.

The question:

I have the ability to take paid "personal days" between now and Saturday - which is 2 personal days until my vacation "officially" begins.

If I take a personal day Thursday and Friday, as opposed to reporting to work, can they fire me without informing me? Don't I have to be present at work to actually be terminated?

One more question:

If I walk in to work and submit my "two-week" resignation before I am fired, can they decline to accept it and go ahead with an involuntary termination?

My state of employment is Indiana.

Thanks to all who can help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"If I take a personal day Thursday and Friday, as opposed to reporting to work, can they fire me without informing me? " Yes.

"Don't I have to be present at work to actually be terminated?" No.

"If I walk in to work and submit my "two-week" resignation before I am fired, can they decline to accept it and go ahead with an involuntary termination?" Yes.

What's more, either walking in and resigning OR failing to show up for work can result in your having unemployment benefits declined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">