• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a question regarding a situation!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

entreprenuer

(not going to use real names for privacy purposes) North Carolina

My freind "jack" works for SUBWAY. He was late one day and isnt liked very much by the staff (other emplyoees only 2 over the age of 18). Jack had a relationship outside of work with a girl. The girls best freind worked at subway 2 and he is a guy. The problem is these employees created rumors about jack and the accusations are not true. Jack and the girl and her freind had problems outside of the work place and never encounterd any problems while at work. The subway has no active manager. The district manager comes in during the week but not on the weekends. Jack is a very hard worker and accomplishes his jobs and fufills the requirements of the job. The district manager came up to him and told him "you are fired, but we cant afford to let you go until we find a replacement." The district managers excuses were there were too many "employee complaints." Can someone please tell me what Jacks options are? I would greatly appreciate it.

mlane58

Can someone please tell me what Jacks options are?
His only only option is to look for another job. Nothing in your post remotely suggests that anything was illegal about his termination.

entreprenuer

But can you say your fired but not yet because we still need you? I mean what the hell and there were false accusations and if they fire him because of those false accusations or defamation of character?

mlane58

An employer can terminate your employment for any reason as long as that reason doesn't have to do with your race, age, religion, gender, national origin, etc....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can say, you're fired but your last day of work is not until...

If the employer believes the accusations are true, it is not illegal to fire him and he does not have a claim for defamation, even if the employer is mistaken.

ENASNI

cbg said:
Yes, you can say, you're fired but your last day of work is not until...

If the employer believes the accusations are true, it is not illegal to fire him and he does not have a claim for defamation, even if the employer is mistaken.

Oh man, I had such a good joke to post here, but since cbg was so sincere and posted her good sense I felt silly.

So blame cbg for not getting a chuckle today. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">