• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just got fired --- Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Melfan1968

What is the name of your state? SC

I was at my job for about 2 weeks (and loved it) when my son got sick. I got approval from the owner of the company (we are a small company) to work from home for that time ... I was told my my sons doctors he would need to be home for about 2 weeks. After 2 weeks the doctor advised it would be longer .. I told my boss, gave her all the information, doctor names etc and was told no problem. I was still doing my work from home and doing my 40 hours. Then one day they shut me out of the system. I called and was told by the owner they were in a "financial crisis" right now and did not have the $ to pay me. In other words I was laid off ... okay ... and they also advised me "take care of your son he needs you right now. She then advised when he is better you can come back to work. About 1 week later I went by the office (on Thursday) and told my boss I wanted to come back to work (in the office) on Monday. She told me ok ... Then Monday morning rolls around and I have car trouble ... I call them tell them and I am frantically calling around to get a ride to work (which I finally got) and before I could leave the house they called me and told me ... your fired ... for guess what absenteeism!!!! My Question is ... can I sue for wrongful dismissal? and I still have not received one cent from unemployment because they tell me they are "investigating". Any advice will be appreciated

R

Ramoth

You weren't employed anywhere near long enough to be covered by FMLA or any state version SC may have. They company is not required to hold your job, they had every right to terminate you, absenteeism is a legitimate reason, and you probably won't get unemployment.

FYI wrongful termination means termination because of a protected characteristic, exercising a protected right, or violations of public policy, none of which apply here.

M

Melfan1968

Nope I am not kidding!

I appreciate the replies/advice. Nope I am not kidding ... the thing that gets me about all this is the OWNER states we don't have enough to pay you right now and lays me off BUT then I go back to work and they fire me for absenteeism ... they can't have the best of both worlds ... in my book it's either one or the other. And do you know what ... I did not take ANY time off before then unpaid, I always made up the time and gave them plenty of notice for any doctors appts and always got approval. I sure have learned a LOT from this experience I will say that. Thanks again. Life stinks sometimes in that big wide world!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">