• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was laid off but a newly hired temp was not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karenkiwi

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I was laid off recently. The letter that was given to employees who were laid off stated that the reason was due to "lack of work". I had been with the company for two years, had no written warnings on record, but had some verbals with my manager due to my work being affected by a series of personal issues over the previous few months. My last conversation with my manager indicated that everything was in great shape again and I was doing fine.

However, there were two employees on my team who were hired two months prior and a temp who was hired to regular employment status the week I was laid off - and the company kept all of them. The temp and the two employees all had the same job title that I had. There was a third employee on my team (same job title as me) who has had performance issues steadily over the last year. I believe he had been written up for his performance issues at least once.

When I was laid off, I was told that I was selected based on who the EVP thought was unhappy.

I'm wondering if I have a case.... Especially since the temp was hired the same week I was laid off and was given my job title. The temp was actually hired to take care of work that I was doing so I could focus on other things. I would simply pursue a settlement via mediation.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

Last edited:

justalayman

You probably ought to spend the time meditating and working on your inner happiness. The isn't going to be any mediation though. They did nothing illegal. They just liked the other people better. (now here is where the meditation thing come in to play)

HomeGuru

karenkiwi said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I was laid off recently. The letter that was given to employees who were laid off stated that the reason was due to "lack of work". I had been with the company for two years, had no written warnings on record, but had some verbals with my manager due to my work being affected by a series of personal issues over the previous few months. My last conversation with my manager indicated that everything was in great shape again and I was doing fine.

However, there were two employees on my team who were hired two months prior and a temp who was hired to regular employment status the week I was laid off - and the company kept all of them. The temp and the two employees all had the same job title that I had. There was a third employee on my team (same job title as me) who has had performance issues steadily over the last year. I believe he had been written up for his performance issues at least once.

When I was laid off, I was told that I was selected based on who the EVP thought was unhappy.

I'm wondering if I have a case.... Especially since the temp was hired the same week I was laid off and was given my job title. The temp was actually hired to take care of work that I was doing so I could focus on other things. I would simply pursue a settlement via mediation.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!
**A: here is my one thought: look for another job and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">