• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was laid off from my post due to "nepotism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hozay

What is the name of your state?California

Hello Folks I am being terminated from my post because i have relatives working in the same account. The Branch office Is going to transfer me as well as the relatives. Here is the problem they have not found us any positions any where else. They offered me one job but the pay would be almost $10.00 less /hr. Do i have to accept these low ball offers? :confused: Can i be eligable for unemployment while I look for another job? T.I.A(thnx in advance)

pattytx

It is legal? Yes. It is very common for companies to prohibit relatives from working together, especially if one has supervisory or other powers over the other. Do you have to accept the lower-paying position? No, you don't have to do anything except pay taxes and die. Can you get unemployment if you quit? A qualified "Maybe", but only the agency and, if appealed, the Administrative Law Judge can answer that question. In California, they may take the "demotion" into consideration, but only if the pay is substantially less than you were previously making and not knowing what you were making before, don't know if it would be considered substantial. Again, this is up to the agency and the ALJ, and we would have no way of knowing what they would decide.

If I may offer some advice, start looking for another position while you are still working there, even if it is at the lower job and pay rate. Then you can quit. Better to have $10/hr less on a full-time basis than use up your UI benefits at less than your pay; plus it's always better to look for a job while you still have one.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">