• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I let go of my employee.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Westin

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Greetings. I am a general manager of a restaurant . I have been trying to force one of my employees to quit for some time now.(so I dont have to worry about her unemployment) She was hired to be a server. I changed her duty to be a cashier/ server. She made less tips when she worked at the close out cash register. It set me off when she didnt want to help me out. So I have been wanting to get rid of her since. When She approached me about this I took away Sundays from her (which is the busiest day for business) hoping this would make her want to quit. She no called no showed two days in a row. When she came back to work I was still too worried to fire her. I told her we "let her go" and pretty much tricked her into signing a form stating she "voluntarily quit" . I had to do this to save my position. I lose part of my bonus if anyone collect benefits. Can she still collect? Should I be worried?

Happy Trails

Westin said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Greetings. I am a general manager of a restaurant . I have been trying to force one of my employees to quit for some time now.(so I dont have to worry about her unemployment) She was hired to be a server. I changed her duty to be a cashier/ server. She made less tips when she worked at the close out cash register. It set me off when she didnt want to help me out. So I have been wanting to get rid of her since. When She approached me about this I took away Sundays from her (which is the busiest day for business) hoping this would make her want to quit. She no called no showed two days in a row. When she came back to work I was still too worried to fire her. I told her we "let her go" and pretty much tricked her into signing a form stating she "voluntarily quit" . I had to do this to save my position. I lose part of my bonus if anyone collect benefits. Can she still collect? Should I be worried?
I don't know if she has a case or not. She'll probably file for it, then you will deny it, then she will appeal it, and unemployment will get the story from the two of you etc.... Then they will have to make a determination based on the hearing.

I also want to add, if you had to do that to save your position, then that really stinks. Remember the day may come when they'll want to get rid of you and they won't want you to claim unemployment benefits. Because the new manager won't want to lose part of his/her bonus.

Happy Trails said:
I also want to add, if you had to do that to save your position, then that really stinks. Remember the day may come when they'll want to get rid of you and they won't want you to claim unemployment benefits. Because the new manager won't want to lose part of his/her bonus.
co-sign

That was really underhanded. :mad: Why were you trying to force her to quit???

Westin

jpritchett81 said:
co-sign

That was really underhanded. :mad: Why were you trying to force her to quit???
She was not a team player. She did not want to work the cash register. I know we hired her to be a waitress, but she should have been more than happy to work the register. All she did was pout. I needed to remove the bad apple.

I don't understand. She did two no call no shows two days in a row, which could be considered quitting. Couldn't you claim misconduct, even violation of company policy?

Beth3

Is this for real? Or did you just pull this from a variety of posts here by individuals claiming they were trying to be forced to quit?

On the off-chance it's for real, (a) this is a lousy way to do your job, and (b) if your employer has a bonus policy that includes criteria regarding employees collecting UC benefits (something the employer basically has no control over), that's just stupid.

If she applies for benefits, you'll just have to wait and see what the State rules. By the by, I doubt the resignation form you somehow tricked the employee into signing will have no impact on her eligibilty for benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">