• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I might be fired for the contents of an anonymous survey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cubsfan

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My boss put surveys in everyone's mailboxes about what we would change about the store I work at, and she said that these are anonymous "so there's no reason for anyone not to do one."

I basically just wrote that we shouldn't stay open so late since nobody ever comes in after 10, we should stop playing all the same cd's all the time, we shouldn't cave in to customers ALL the time, and we should change the sexist policy that only women can be cashiers. I wrote that last one since for some reason only the women where I work can be cashiers, and they have by far the least work to do while getting paid the same as everyone else.

Later, despite the fact these were supposed to be anonymous, my boss asked me if I wrote it. Thinking I might be getting a cashier job, I said "yes," and she said something to the effect of it being rude and in poor taste. She also said "We'll talk about this later."

My question: is there any way I can get in trouble for this?

BelizeBreeze

YOu should be fired for being a Cubs fan....

That aside, you are an at-will employee if you don't have a specific employment contract so yes, she can fire you for this or any other reason.

However, that being said, the only thing you can do is discuss it with her 'later' and tell her you think the store is practicing sexual discrimination in the placement of women as cashiers without requiring of them the same level of work for the same amount of wage.

And then let the chips fall where they may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">