• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I might be getting fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

round 1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi I just recently started a new job probably around a month in n I've beem going to work sick as a dog fir the past 2 days and my boss has known it..she even offered to try n find someone to cover my shift a couple days ago..well last night I couldn't go in I just couldn't get out of bed. Well I texted my boss since my vice is gone from coughing so much and she said that she found someone to cover my shift but tools me I need to go to the doc..I don't get medical insurance and don't make enough to go..especially for only a cold. Can u be fitted because if it. N will I be able to collect unemployment due to being fired over not bring able to provide a doc note...I always thought u had to see a doc after missing 3 days or are some places different than others?

Just Blue

Hi I just recently started a new job probably around a month in n I've beem going to work sick as a dog fir the past 2 days and my boss has known it..she even offered to try n find someone to cover my shift a couple days ago..well last night I couldn't go in I just couldn't get out of bed. Well I texted my boss since my vice is gone from coughing so much and she said that she found someone to cover my shift but tools me I need to go to the doc..I don't get medical insurance and don't make enough to go..especially for only a cold. Can u be fitted because if it. N will I be able to collect unemployment due to being fired over not bring able to provide a doc note...I always thought u had to see a doc after missing 3 days or are some places different than others?
Please edit your post so that we KNOW what you mean to say as opposed to trying to "figure it out". Thanks!

round 1

Please edit your post so that we KNOW what you mean to say as opposed to trying to "figure it out". Thanks!
Ok ill put it crayon.. Can I collect unemployment for failing to provide a doctors note since I have no insurance and cannot afford to see one without insurance?

CourtClerk

Did you have eligible earnings last year in order to receive unemployment benefits because you wouldn't get them based on the earnings from THIS job, even if you were eligible.

There's no law that covers requiring a doctor's note after X amount of days. Every company is able to set their own policies.

Antigone*

Yes you can be let go. If you are let go, file for unemployment.

round 1

Did you have eligible earnings last year in order to receive unemployment benefits because you wouldn't get them based on the earnings from THIS job, even if you were eligible.

There's no law that covers requiring a doctor's note after X amount of days. Every company is able to set their own policies.

Yes I do have earnings from a previous job from last year..so failing to provide a note didn't disqualify me from receiving benefits?

Just Blue

Ok ill put it crayon.. Can I collect unemployment for failing to provide a doctors note since I have no insurance and cannot afford to see one without insurance?
Huh? What does
ill put it crayon
mean? :confused:

Are you feeling "ill"? Do you mean I'll or I will?

Is your intent to state "I will put in crayon"? or some other such nonsense? As opposed to just doing an edit?:confused:

commentator

Yes, you can be fired for being out sick from your job. It's a new one, and you just started less than a year ago, I'll bet, and you were out sick. If your employer wants to, they can fire you for this. It's an "at will" state. If your employer told you to go to the doctor,you probably should have taken this as a hint they want to see proof you were really sick. No one cares whether you can "afford" to go to the doctor or not in any of the ssituations, your employer OR the unemployment system.

IF you are fired, which it does not sound as if you are yet, sounds as though you are just checking to see what you can bluster about (I've checked the previous postings) but anyhow, if you are fired for this absence, and you file for unemployment insurance benefits, they will first do the claim to make sure you have wages from covered employers in the last 18 months sufficient to set up a claim for unemployment. If you do not, they don't care what happened to you, there's no unemployment insurance for you to draw.

Having established that you do have a claim, they'll take the statement about why you are out of work. If you were fired for an illness/health issue, they will give you a doctor's statement to submit, or ask for your medical excuse for the absence. If you were out sick, and you have no doctor's statement, it is much much much harder to prove you were out sick, too sick to work, but not sick enough to seek medical help. They do not care about your income or financial situations, so they will not consider whether or not you had enough money or insurance coverage to see the doctor. If you were too sick to go in to work, knowing that your absence might lead to your being fired, you should have been sick enough to need to see the doctor.

If you don't get fired this time, and your employer tells you they will fire you the next time, then if there is a next time, you get up off your bed of pain and go to the doctor, if you plan on missing work and would like to draw unemployment insurance when fired.

quincy

Perhaps he can change the color of his socks with his crayon to suit his (former) employer. ;)
After seeing the phrase "they can fire you over the color of your socks" repeated over and over again on this site, I now always carry my own Crayola box of 64. I am not taking any chances.

OHRoadwarrior

After seeing the phrase "they can fire you over the color of your socks" repeated over and over again on this site, I now always carry my own Crayola box of 64. I am not taking any chances.
Proof positive you are in deed the sharpest crayon in the box.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">