• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I QUIT, BUT THEY LET ME GO EARLY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BOBBILYN95

ON JUNE 21, 2001 I PUT IN MY NOTICE THAT JULY 13, 2001 WOULD BE MY LAST DAY. THE VICE-PRESIDENT SAID, "NO, JUNE 22, 2001 WILL BE YOUR LAST DAY." AM I ENTITLED TO SEVERANCE OR UNEMPLOYMENT SINCE I WAS LET GO BEFORE I WAS READY?? I'M AN "AT WILL" EMPLOYEE AND AM STILL WILLING TO WORK UNTIL JULY 13TH. (I START MY NEW JOB JULY 16TH.) I HAVE SOMETHING IN WRITING STATING THAT THEY LET ME GO BEFORE THE DATE I REQUESTED. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP?

S

sandyfran

Gave notice then fired in Florida

BOBBILYN95 said:
ON JUNE 21, 2001 I PUT IN MY NOTICE THAT JULY 13, 2001 WOULD BE MY LAST DAY. THE VICE-PRESIDENT SAID, "NO, JUNE 22, 2001 WILL BE YOUR LAST DAY." AM I ENTITLED TO SEVERANCE OR UNEMPLOYMENT SINCE I WAS LET GO BEFORE I WAS READY?? I'M AN "AT WILL" EMPLOYEE AND AM STILL WILLING TO WORK UNTIL JULY 13TH. (I START MY NEW JOB JULY 16TH.) I HAVE SOMETHING IN WRITING STATING THAT THEY LET ME GO BEFORE THE DATE I REQUESTED. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP?
The same thing happened to me in Florida. I gave notice to the President of the company. He would not accept it - instead he tried to find another position for me. He asked that I stay 6 weeks longer I agreed then my supervisor fired me on the 8th day into the 6 week period. I'm out 5 weeks pay and have to pay the higher cobra rate for insurance. All the supervisor told me was "we no longer need your services, I will be training the new person myself. Please collect your belongings and leave." Please let me know if I am considered "discharged" in Florida for purposes of unemployment.

B

buddy2bear

The day that you give your notice is the day you should be prepared to walk out the door if necessary. Companies are no longer allowing you to work out a notice period for several reasons such as possible sabatoge of equipment; "bad mouthing" company to co-workers; possibly influencing co-workers to quit; slow down of production because you're leaving anyway; etc. As far as collecting unemployment, this depends on your State's unemployment laws, but usually, you would not qualify because you are the one who quit to take another job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">