• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I say fired, Employer says I quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dleung

What is the name of your state? New York
Earlier this year, I went into the office of the owner of the small(30) firm that I worked at to express frustration about my new manager. This was not the first time I complained since she was hired 10 months prior, so the owner was not surprised. I should mention that the owner had always said that his door is always open to discuss any problems since he looked upon his employees as family. During the meeting, I opened by saying that now I was so frustrated that I was thinking about leaving the company, just to drive home the point. I asked if he could think of any role I could play that involved less contact with the manager. He said he'd think about it and to call him that evening. That evening I called and he said he hadn't thought of anything. I suggested that I work from home in a reduced role from that of a manager. He said he'd get back to me in the morning. In the morning, he told me that if I couldn't get along with the manager, I would have to be let go, since these things never work out, citing his recent divorce. He offered to keep me on til mid-year so that I could train a replacement and in exchange he would give me a nice severance pkg that would involve monthly and quarterly payments for the second half of the year based upon me being available for consultations if needed thru the end of the year. I accepted, since this amounted to half my salary which meant I was being paid half a year for not working.
Of course, I filed for unemployment since in my mind I was fired. The employer shot back that I was on retainer and being paid monthly for it. But the worst part was that they claimed that I quit! Of course the DOL refused benefits based upon these two points. I am appealing, since I feel that the first point is debatable, since I feel that it's a form of severance payment that was deferred, since I don't actually have to do any work to receive it and secondly, I did not quit! I wasn't given a choice despite my appeals to the owner.
OK, I get that I could possibly be considered on "retainer" by a third party. Or am I wrong? Then I could understand not getting benefits until my retainer period ends at the end of the year.
Secondly, I did not quit! I was not given a choice! I feel that I relied on the owner's sincerity about having an open door policy, especially since I worked 4 years for him. How can I prove this though? Does the fact that I was given a generous pkg that included 6 mos paid medical, outplacement assistance and half a years salary help my case? Also, why would I quit if I didn't have a job waiting, and I was being paid more than twice what the market was paying?
Anybody? Do I have a case at appeal?

Thanks!

Beth3

All you can do is share your version of the events above at the hearing and see what the State rules. Since you told the owner you were so frustrated you were thinking of quitting and then offered to work from home in a reduced role (thereby resigining your position.) Additionally, you will also be receiving severance payments. I think the odds are fairly slim that you will prevail.

I feel that I relied on the owner's sincerity about having an open door policy, Okay but that still doesn't mean you can more or less resign and still be eligible for unemployment.

Does the fact that I was given a generous pkg that included 6 mos paid medical, outplacement assistance and half a years salary help my case? On the contrary, continuing to receive a salary makes you ineligible for unemployment.

Also, why would I quit if I didn't have a job waiting, and I was being paid more than twice what the market was paying? Good point - which is probably why it wasn't wise to tell the owner you were thinking of leaving without having another job lined up.

dleung

Beth,
I don't understand why you would consider me as having "resigned" my position just because I suggested another role I could take. I could imagine that everyday in every company that some unhappy employee goes into his manager's office, expresses frustration and suggests that he could/should be doing something else within the dept/company. Isn't this how promotions are gotten some of the time? But I can't imagine that this constitutes a "resignation"!
Something else to note is that in my agreement with the company with respect to the future "consulting" payments I would get, the words "termination" and severance benefits" are used. Nowhere is the word "resignation".

Thanks.

Beth3

Here's why:

During the meeting, I opened by saying that now I was so frustrated that I was thinking about leaving the company

I suggested that I work from home in a reduced role from that of a manager.

If your employer wishes to construe those statements as a resignation, they may.

I could imagine that everyday in every company that some unhappy employee goes into his manager's office, expresses frustration and suggests that he could/should be doing something else within the dept/company. Sure but that's different than saying you are thinking of quitting and saying you want a reduced role - in effect, "quitting" the job you have.

Isn't this how promotions are gotten some of the time? Not the way you handled it.

I'm not kicking you when you're down - just explaining that your employer was free to interpret your comments as a resignation and apparently the UC Division agreed with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">