• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was I so offensive to get terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bob2194

What is the name of your state? TX
Ok this is somewhat complcated, but here goes.

I work for the city of El Paso as a bus mechanic, we are covered by civil service rules.

I sold a fellow employee an a adult video. (girls gone wild) In the parking lot before punching in.( I am told the parking lot is public domain) I told the guy to put it in his truck, instead he puts it in his luch box. Later that day it falls out of his lunch box, or he shows it to another coworker, there are 2 versions of that. The coworker who saw it for a couple of seconds says it was offisive,and told him to get rid of it, he brought it up to his supervisor. I was not aware that he had complained at that time. A week later I'm called into the maintence directors office to write a statement, which as stupid as it was, I did. Later they made me write another statement to clearify what kind of movie it was, which stupidly I did.
One week before Thanksgiven I was called into the directors office to be informed of a Pre Termination hearing for 1" Being wantonly offisive in conduct or language" 2 For selling on city property on city time for personal gain". To tell the truth I was stuned! I went to see a union rep (non bargining union) Since I swold it to someone who wanted it I could not see the offinsive part. Maybe he was offisive,(he is being charge with sexual discrination, or sexual harsment) but how could I be offisive when he wanted it? So when we went to the pre termination hearing we fought the selling part. We brought up people selling food at work, selling cars in the parking lot, avon, Jewlery supervisors buing these items and not saying in was wrong etc. We also brought up ware was the dvd,how come the never ask for it was on persons word against anoers, no witness]s at all. How could it be offisive e.t.c. The feeling is they want to get the other guy and to get him they need me too. Anyway after the head director heard the aguments in the case and took a break, maybe to talk to legal, he came back and said "you are terminated I sure you did it." Did what sell a dvd in the parking lot? I did that but I don't, and still don't belive I did anything wrong. I will NEVER EVER SELL ANYTHING AT WORK AGAIN! They gave me some paper work to sign. When I got home and checked the paperwork, get this, They had CHANGED the Charges. The hadn't said anything. Now the charges are still for being wantonly offisive in action and language, but also for" Inducing another to commit an unlawfull act". So what act was unlawfull? My question is Now we are on appeal but to get a hearing officer will be 3 to 4 months. Do you think I will be termnaterd, given a leaser punshiment or the whole thing thrown out. Just to let you know before this in 8 years only 3 terminations, 2 for drugs one supervisor for hitting workers in our shop. We had a supervisor who had came to work, punch in assign the work, then get in a city vehicle and go home 3 differnt times, leving the workers unsupervised, and for working on his pov in the shop while on the clock. He only got a 3 day suspension. I have no write ups late or work perfomance. I did get a suspension for yeling at a coworker 5 years ago.

Should I wait for the hearing or go work somewhere elese. I have about a 1 1/2 years to go, to get an early retiremnet about $400.00 a month for life.
Please advise thanks! Sorry so long!
Robert Opdyke.

rmet4nzkx

Robert, there are a number of serious charges they may charge you with. The parking lot is city property, did you have a permit or required license?

Was this a legal or bootleg copy? Did you have a resale license?

Why wasn't this other person able to buy this on his own or stay up at night to watch late night TV or rent a copy?

You knew it was offense because you warned him to keep it out of sight, in his truck.

It is a big difference between selling food and selling pronographic materials that cannot be sold to minors. If you were selling a cake of a naked person or sex organs, they might also be subject to termination for objectional materials. The supreme court has ruled on obscene materials, so you might look that up.

If you are still employed pending appeal, consult an employment attorney, don't rely on the union to represent you.

bob2194

ok more info

rmet4nzkx said:
Robert, there are a number of serious charges they may charge you with. The parking lot is city property, did you have a permit or required license?

Was this a legal or bootleg copy? Did you have a resale license?

Why wasn't this other person able to buy this on his own or stay up at night to watch late night TV or rent a copy?

You knew it was offense because you warned him to keep it out of sight, in his truck.

It is a big difference between selling food and selling pronographic materials that cannot be sold to minors. If you were selling a cake of a naked person or sex organs, they might also be subject to termination for objectional materials. The supreme court has ruled on obscene materials, so you might look that up.

If you are still employed pending appeal, consult an employment attorney, don't rely on the union to represent you.
Ok no I don't have a permit, It was orginal dvd, I sold it to him, because I didn't want it anymore and he wanted it, so why not make a couple of bucks. The only charges I am being charge with is
1. being knowingly and wantly offisive, and 2 inducing another to commit an unlawfull act. Those are the only 2 charges. My question was I offisive to the person I sold the item too? And what unlawfull act to I induce my fellow employee to commit? No I am not working, I am apealing the termination, my question is can I win? I did know that That stuff wasn't allowed in the workplace I didn't know that the parking lot was part of the shop, but that dosn't matter they are not charging me for selling the item just being office in act or language a big differnce.
Thanks

bob2194

more help

I was hoping for a little more help. Does it sound like they are streaching a bit, for example how can I be offisive to someone who wants to buy the item? What did I do to influnce someone to do a unlawfull act? What was the unlawfull act. I bought the dvd right off the t.v, and nobody has the dvd and only one person say it foe a couple of seconds. I was told the city has to prove their case, which is one persons word agaist the other, and their is the produrnce of the edevince. I've got a long wait 4 months and little money I don't want to throw away 9 years but don't want to just hang around to find out its not beatable, anyone with civil service experince please advise (I know if it was a privite compay I'm gone but since its not Maybe have a chance?)
Thanks!!!

I can take the truth. But getting a laywer isn't in the cards right now low on money, and don't know if unemployment is going be comming.

rmet4nzkx

"Girls Gone Wild" is offense to some, that's all it takes, and at least was offensive enough for someone to report. If you check all the fine print in your employee materials and annual coverage, you will find the basis of their action. If you don't have an attorney, you will have a difficult time finding your way around to any defense you might have.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the company finds what you did offensive, they can fire you for it, regardless of whether the person who bought the DVD finds it offensive or not.

bob2194 said:
What is the name of your state? TX
Ok this is somewhat complcated, but here goes.

I work for the city of El Paso as a bus mechanic, we are covered by civil service rules.

I sold a fellow employee an a adult video. (girls gone wild) In the parking lot before punching in.( I am told the parking lot is public domain) I told the guy to put it in his truck, instead he puts it in his luch box. Later that day it falls out of his lunch box, or he shows it to another coworker, there are 2 versions of that. The coworker who saw it for a couple of seconds says it was offisive,and told him to get rid of it, he brought it up to his supervisor. I was not aware that he had complained at that time. A week later I'm called into the maintence directors office to write a statement, which as stupid as it was, I did. Later they made me write another statement to clearify what kind of movie it was, which stupidly I did.
One week before Thanksgiven I was called into the directors office to be informed of a Pre Termination hearing for 1" Being wantonly offisive in conduct or language" 2 For selling on city property on city time for personal gain". To tell the truth I was stuned! I went to see a union rep (non bargining union) Since I swold it to someone who wanted it I could not see the offinsive part. Maybe he was offisive,(he is being charge with sexual discrination, or sexual harsment) but how could I be offisive when he wanted it? So when we went to the pre termination hearing we fought the selling part. We brought up people selling food at work, selling cars in the parking lot, avon, Jewlery supervisors buing these items and not saying in was wrong etc. We also brought up ware was the dvd,how come the never ask for it was on persons word against anoers, no witness]s at all. How could it be offisive e.t.c. The feeling is they want to get the other guy and to get him they need me too. Anyway after the head director heard the aguments in the case and took a break, maybe to talk to legal, he came back and said "you are terminated I sure you did it." Did what sell a dvd in the parking lot? I did that but I don't, and still don't belive I did anything wrong. I will NEVER EVER SELL ANYTHING AT WORK AGAIN! They gave me some paper work to sign. When I got home and checked the paperwork, get this, They had CHANGED the Charges. The hadn't said anything. Now the charges are still for being wantonly offisive in action and language, but also for" Inducing another to commit an unlawfull act". So what act was unlawfull? My question is Now we are on appeal but to get a hearing officer will be 3 to 4 months. Do you think I will be termnaterd, given a leaser punshiment or the whole thing thrown out. Just to let you know before this in 8 years only 3 terminations, 2 for drugs one supervisor for hitting workers in our shop. We had a supervisor who had came to work, punch in assign the work, then get in a city vehicle and go home 3 differnt times, leving the workers unsupervised, and for working on his pov in the shop while on the clock. He only got a 3 day suspension. I have no write ups late or work perfomance. I did get a suspension for yeling at a coworker 5 years ago.

Should I wait for the hearing or go work somewhere elese. I have about a 1 1/2 years to go, to get an early retiremnet about $400.00 a month for life.
Please advise thanks! Sorry so long!
Robert Opdyke.
"Do you think I will be termnaterd"...Man I hope not...that sounds PAINFULL!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">