• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think my job is trying to get rid of me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I don't want to quit because I have been with the job for awhile so would probably get unemployment if I got fired. What's the best course of action to take? Thanks for any assistance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you have told us absolutely nothing about what your employer is doing and why, the advice about is about all there is.

las365

I'll add:

Be on time.
Don't call in sick if you aren't sick.
Do your work to the best of your ability.
Be respectful to your boss and co-workers.
Work while you are at work. This means don't spend time while on the clock on personal phone calls, emails, texting, updating your Facebook status, surfing the 'net, or posting on Free Advice to update us on what just happened. ;)

Oh, also don't use your employer's equipment to write, print, copy, fax, or email your resume.

violas

Thanks to all for your comments

I am going to take your advice. I am going to be sending out resumes and am going to keep my mouth shut. They are always hassling me at this job. The latest example is that my boss told me to do something a certain way so I did. Now the boss is saying he didn't tell me to do it that way and that I had "misunderstood his instructions". No I did not misunderstand anything. But he sure wasn't going to admit to his boss that he had made a mistake. Anyway, I hope I can find work elsewhere and be on my way.;)

Beth3

That stinks but it's not illegal. Strongly suggest you follow the advice from the other responders.

asiny

I am going to take your advice. I am going to be sending out resumes and am going to keep my mouth shut. They are always hassling me at this job. The latest example is that my boss told me to do something a certain way so I did. Now the boss is saying he didn't tell me to do it that way and that I had "misunderstood his instructions". No I did not misunderstand anything. But he sure wasn't going to admit to his boss that he had made a mistake. Anyway, I hope I can find work elsewhere and be on my way.;)
And anytime your boss asks you to do something- request him to send an eMail so that you can be sure to follow his instructions correctly (make reference to the latest example) to do a good job for him. Now you have documentation if he decides to pull a 'i never said that way'.

If the issue persists, if available, you can take it to your companies HR department with the eMail trail.. and/or you can take the issue to HR now.

commentator

If you quit the job, regardless of reason, you have the "burden of proof " to show the unemployment system that you have a very good job related reason to quit the job. IF you can do this, you may be approved to draw benefits. But it does have to be pretty serious. Accusing you of making mistakes, yelling at you, really harrassing you and creating a bad place to work telling you constantly that you are in danger of being fired....not good enough. Not paying your paychecks,physically assaulting you, asking you to work in unsafe conditions... maybe.

But if they terminate you, it has to be them that has the burden of proof that they had a very good job related reason to terminate. In otherwords, that you knew what you were doing was wrong, or not what they wanted, or not up to spec, and you had the opportunity to change your behavior and keep your job, and you chose not to do it. Barring gross misconduct (something so bad you should have reasonabley known it was wrong to do it, even one time) it is harder for them to get you terminated. And it is very wise not to let them goad you into quitting. Keep looking elsewhere, but keep doing your job, showing up on time, cooperating as much as you can with them, and then if they decide to fire you, so be it, but don't be pride driven and dumb and let them push you into quitting. If they holler "Why don't you just quit?" still insist they fire you. Contrary to what they may tell you, it doesn't "save your reference" or look better anywhere. IT just means you don't get unemployment benefits (as easily) and they avoid having to pay the unemployment taxes involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">