• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was wondering if you could be fired for being off of work do to medical reasons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdogg35

What is the name of your state? KY

I was wondering if you could be fired for being off of work for medical reasons? I have been unable to return to work for the past 12 months do to medical reason and have been fired. I blacked out at work and have been off of the job ever since. I don't know what caused me to black out. I just wanted to know since all of this started with me blacking out at work. It just doesn't seem right to me to fire someone that can not work right now since it did happen on the job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The maximum length of time that an employer is obligated to hold your job when you are out for medical reasons is 12 WEEKS. Your employer held it for FAR longer than he is required to by law. It is not illegal for him to fire you under these conditions.

BTW, the fact that it happened at work does not mean that it was CAUSED BY work.

HomeGuru

tdogg35 said:
What is the name of your state? KY

I was wondering if you could be fired for being off of work for medical reasons? I have been unable to return to work for the past 12 months do to medical reason and have been fired. I blacked out at work and have been off of the job ever since. I don't know what caused me to black out. I just wanted to know since all of this started with me blacking out at work. It just doesn't seem right to me to fire someone that can not work right now since it did happen on the job.
**A: so what did your MD say as to the cause and what has been done over the past 12 months that you have been out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">