• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was written up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Seery19

I was told by my manager that I was being written up for a work infraction/policy I was suppose to know about. I was never shown the write up. Two weeks later I was fired for not being right for the job. My mother was told I was being fired because I told my manager I was suicidal. I never told my manager that.
I live in Colorado. Do I have a recourse?

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

Whoever told your mother you were fired because you said you were suicidal may be guilty of defamation, if you can prove that the statement is false.

S

Seery19

Actually it was the manger that told my mom I was suicidal. I don't know if anyone heard her tell my mom that over the phone or not. My mom asked for it to be clarified when they met in person. The manager again stated that I had said I wanted to commit suicide but only my mom was present.

L

loku

As I said above, “whoever told your mother you were fired because you said you were suicidal may be guilty of defamation, if you can prove that the statement is false.” Since your manager made the statement to your mother, your mother’s testimony would be evidence that the statement was made. What you would have to prove is that it was false.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">