• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was wrongfully accused and terminated for theft.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NikkiQ87

North Carolina, U.S.A
I've only been working there for a couple months. Can I still draw unemployment?
There was appoximately $100 taken from my place of employment and b/c it supposidly happened on my shift, I was fired. I am without a doubt, innocent of this crime. There are many employees who have a key to this store and there are NO CAMERAS. I followed procedure the night the money was stolen and the next day I received a phone call from my supervisor asking me if I had taken money from the store. I said no, and of course, she didn't believe me. I told her that if she couldn't find out what happened to the money I would let her take it out of my check in order to keep my job, but only if they agreed to put in a locked security deposit box along with cameras so that if this ever happened again, I would not be to blame. She said that she would look over the numbers and proceeded to tell me that there was a camera in the computer monitor. I was ecstatic! Come to find out, when I met her at the store to try and figure out what happened, the camera was "blank." I now believe that she was using a scare tactic to see if I would "admit" anyhting. She has no evidence that I took anything. The fact that there are so many other employees who have access to the store is to me, enough to take the company to court. Not to mention the fact that this has happened once before while I was working there but to another employee and she was never terminated and they never really searched around to find out where the money that dissapeared on her shift went. Is this reason enough to contact a lawyer?Also, she humiliated me in front of another employee and a customer, I was extremely distraught. Is this grounds for harrasement? North Carolina, U.S.A

Last edited:

Antigone*

North Carolina, U.S.A
There was appoximately $100 taken from my place of employment and b/c it supposidly happened on my shift, I was fired. I am without a doubt, innocent of this crime. There are many employees who have a key to this store and there are NO CAMERAS. I followed procedure the night the money was stolen and the next day I received a phone call from my supervisor asking me if I had taken money from the store. I said no, and of course, she didn't believe me. I told her that if she couldn't find out what happened to the money I would let her take it out of my check in order to keep my job, but only if they agreed to put in a locked security deposit box along with cameras so that if this ever happened again, I would not be to blame. She said that she would look over the numbers and proceeded to tell me that there was a camera in the computer monitor. I was ecstatic! Come to find out, when I met her at the store to try and figure out what happened, the camera was "blank." I now believe that she was using a scare tactic to see if I would "admit" anyhting. She has no evidence that I took anything. The fact that there are so many other employees who have access to the store is to me, enough to take the company to court. Not to mention the fact that this has happened once before while I was working there but to another employee and she was never terminated and they never really searched around to find out where the money that dissapeared on her shift went. Is this reason enough to contact a lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No it is not reason enough to contact a lawyer, but you should file for unemployment.

NikkiQ87

I am not sure but I was only there for about 2 months. I have never had a reason to draw unemployment so this is all very new to me. I was wrongfully accused of theft. There is no proof that I did anything. No Cameras or any type of security system. I have started applying for unemployment.

commentator

The unemployment system will go back and pull in all the wages from covered employers you have made in the last 18 months. But then they will look at the reason you were terminated. They will take your statement, and then they will contact the employer to request their statement. If they really have no proof, and you were terminated arbitrarily, then you will probably be approved.(Provided you have enough wages in the base period to set up a claim.) They will request and be shown any proof or indication that the employer does have. They will make what is called an initial decision, either approving you or denying your benefits. You can appeal if denied, or if you are approved, the employer can appeal and request a hearing.

Now I do not quite understand why you would agree to let this money be taken out of your paycheck when this was not standard company policy and you are certain that there is no evidence you took the money. The unemployment system will really come down on that, especially if you signed anything agreeing to be responsible for this shortage or admitting anything.

As far as harrassment, hurting your feelings, humiliating you in front of other workers, suing because they did not fire another worker for stealing before and yet they have fired you...there is nothing you can sue them for. Sad but true. They can accuse you of things, fire you for no good reason. I'm sure every now and then somebody breaks down and confesses when pushed and accused in this way. But if they have no proof and you are really not guilty, it should work out to where you can be approved for benefits, at least.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">