• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was I wrongfully fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeo

What is the name of your state? Michigan.I was fired from my job as a supervisor/tech for basicly reporting sexual harasment of one employee upon another employee.My report said that I saw the man taking a pop bottle and trying to put it between the womans legs from behind her even though she repeatedly told him to stop.Both of their reports stated that he was taking a pop bottle and hitting her in her back side (butt) even though she repeatedly told him to stop.The company discharged me because they said that my report is so much different than the other two that they are discharging me for falsification of corporate records.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All I can give you is a definite maybe.

While you cannot be fired for reporting SH, you can be fired for filing a false report of SH. If the employees in question do not back up what you said, so that the company honestly believes that you falsified the report, you can be fired (though I think the employer must have rocks in their head to do so). On the other hand, if they know you were telling the truth and just don't want to deal with it, firing you is a big no-no.

It certainly can't do you any harm to discuss the entire matter with an employment attorney. Even if the company thinks you made the whole thing up, firing you for it is questionable at best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">