• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I wrongfully terminated???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimi_mason

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was working at a topless adult nightclub as a cocktail waitress, I made quite a bit of money there. There was a situation where a customer thought he was being ripped off, the situation was handled and the customer was happy. However, he did leave me a rather large tip, which the club decided to fine me $175 for my mistake (Can they do that???) There was also another girl who was only supposed to receive $200, (as per management) but the club paid her $340. Well, I was upset considering I was supposed to receive about $600, and they only paid me $85. I was told by management not to ever mention the situation again or I was to be fired. I left it at that.
A week or so later, I went to work. The manager was outside when I pulled up and he told me to hurry up and get ready because it was busy inside the club. So, I went to the dressing room, and started getting ready. About 10 minutes later, the manager came into the dressing room and told me not to bother getting ready because I was fired. When I asked why, he told me that a customer had gone to the owner and said I was complaining that the club ripped me off. Unfortunately, I didn't mention any of this to any customer. I asked the manager who had gone to the owner, he said it was none of my business and to leave immediately. So, I just left... So, now I am out of a really profitable job... Was I wrongfully terminated???

Beth3

No, this is not a wrongful termination. If they wanted to fire you because they believed you were griping to a customer, they can, even if they are mistaken.

As to the fine they imposed, you haven't given enough information to answer the question. If they actually docked your wages, they can't do that without your authorization but if they just withheld part of a tip, I expect they can do that. You can contact Texas's Department of Labor if you wish to inquire further about this.

mimi_mason

Thank you for the quick response, but as far as the fines go, they would fine us for every little thing. If we don't we don't clean the way they want it, they wolud fine us $25, if we don't show up to work, they fine us $75. But they don't withhold wages, or even from tips, they make us pay it, or we don't get our paychecks or tips (from credit cards). Isn't that illegal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">