• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I wrongfully terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlk1978

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was working at a local business. My boss was also a friend. I started my job in Oct of 2005. It Ended Nov of 2005. Heres the scoop. My boss was having trouble paying her bills. In an effort to help her I agreed to let her keep her vehicle that was about to be repossed at my house. She parked it in my driveway and told me that I could use it if I wanted to run errands. But not to take it to work or her house. The 4th day it was there, my fiance and I took it because there was more room in her car then in ours (we had a car full of kids). I called to make sure it was ok and she and her husband agreed. While returning home from our outting, I noticed a piece of paper with some cash and checks. It was an ACA (group of customers payments) from September of 2005. Assuming that my boss/friend may have put it there and forgot, my fiance brang it in the house so that I would remember to take it to work the next day. When we looked at it it was $350 short. I didn't know what to do, so when I got to work the next day I told another employee about it. She told me that this kind of thing happens all the time. She advised me to just put it back and pretend like I never saw it. In the meantime, the other employee told the district manager of what I found. This girl has a problem with prescription medication and it is believed by others in the office that that is the reason money is constantly missing. Well I forgot to put it back in the van and it was sitting on top of our microwave. She got audited (3rd time in 05) for 2 missing ACA's from September (I have no idea where the other one was) on Nov 18. I took her to the van thinking that I had put it back but I forgot and didn't realize it untill after we already got there. I didn't want to just give it to her after it was sitting on my mic. for a week. I was afraid she would try to blame me for the missing money. So I kept quiet. When I got back to the office I told the employee that I spoke to before what happened. She advised me to send her in writing what happened. So I did. She emailed me back accusing me of breaking into her email and deleting my confession. But I never did that and why would i delete something that I sent to her! We went back and forth through email and I confronted her on her prescription problem (I knew she had one before and have tried to help her before) 4 hours later she sent me a termination letter stating that it was in her business's best interest and her families best interest to let me go as an employee and friend. I was instructed to return the office supplies and pick up my belongings on monday. Not only has this ruined a friendship but i lost my job as well. I realize that I should have told her because she was my friend but after everything that other employees and officials have said I was scared. Is there grounds for termination on this? After all, her boss did know about everything that was going on. And do you think that there is a possiblity of me getting in trouble for slander because I confronted her on her problem and it is in writing?

Thanks In Advance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, this does not come even remotely close to meeting the definition of a wrongful termination.

Apply for unemployment and look for a new job.

mlk1978

Eventhough her superior was told? Just because I confronted her on personal issues and what happened? It wasn't untill I confronted her on the prescription problem that I got fired. If thoughts are still the same... then thank you for your advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful term does not mean one that is unfair, a violation of company policy, or one when you are fired for something you didn't do. A wrongful termination means one that is prohibited by law. Since there is no law that says you cannot be fired for the reason you cite, it is not a wrongful termination under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">