• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I wrongfully terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

providenceerin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I reside in Tennessee and was recently dismissed from employment and told the position and department were being eliminated. I now hear that the employer is creating a position to handle administrative duties in the department until it can be fully reinstated by mid summer. I believe I was wrongfully terminated and pushed out of the way. Do I have a claim for wrongful termination?

Last edited:

justalayman

with the limited information provided, it is impossible to say but I would say, more than likely, no. Most situations that people believe are unlawful terminations aren't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, that is not even remotely close to what is meant by a wrongful termination.

justalayman

with the limited information provided, it is impossible to say but I would say, more than likely, no. Most situations that people believe are unlawful terminations aren't.
Your post showed up while I was typing.

Based on the new information: no

they could tell you today your position is being eliminated and terminate you and then hire a new person tomorrow for the exact same position.

commentator

File at once for unemployment benefits if you haven't already done so. What they have done is a kindness really, they have let you go with a simple termination, reason for leaving, position eliminated. This is an easy approval for unemployment benefits and it is also an easy reasonable acceptable reason for leaving last job that you will be able to report to potential employers in the future. It wasn't your fault. The company made a business decision which ended your employment there. Whether or not you were replaced is a moot point.

In TN at this time, while receiving your unemployment benefits, be very careful to do your three job searches a week. They're making a huge deal of this issue right now.

There was astory recently about a woman who was fired because her boss found her to be "irresistible". She did absolutely nothing wrong except cause her boss to have increased blood circulation below the belt. Her firing was legal.

Proseguru

OP was perhaps told this to spare feelings or it was actually an accurate description by the company at that time.
File for unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
....which is the case with only a very small fraction of employees. And in my experience, posters who have ANYTHING they think might be a contract or limit the employer's right to fire them tend to mention it in the first sentence of their post.

So I think the odds are pretty good that this poster does not. Of course, if you have any evidence to the contrary, feel free to post it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">