• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If awarded U.benefits, then start a new job and quit, does that terminate the benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cros

What is the name of your state? Florida

Here is what I posted to the other forum:

I filed for unemployment for my first time. I wasn't sure if it would be awarded, so I took a part time job just incase. During this same time, I moved residences and I was no longer able to make it to that new job because of the location.

So the unemployment was awarded to me, but now there is a hold due to the 3 days I worked at this part time job. I originally informed the employer that I had some transportation issues and once resolved I would return, and now he is claiming that I quit.

I was just awarded the claim as of yesterday (Nov. 7), and the hold was supposedly placed on the 5th. The "New Hire Center" hasn't even made contact with me yet regarding the hold.

So my question is, have I totally screwed myself by working those 3 days?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second post:
I don't think the number of hours or days is the issue here. I think the issue is: Why am I no longer working for this new job if I was hired. And I spoke with this employer and they are stating that I quit after working 3 days. So I am deeply worried that this will delay my benefits, or annul them completely.

I spoke to the unemployment agency yesterday to see if I could contact the New Hire Department directly. He stated that there was not a phone number that he could give me to contact them, but that he emailed the supervisor to try to have this expedited.

This is for the state of Florida, and I think the guidelines are strict here.

Also, I don't know exactly what I should say to the unemployment call center. Should I tell them that I quit, and if so, would quitting the job because I was no longer able to make it to the job site be disqualifying?

So does anyone out there know if accepting a new job while on unemployment then quitting it will terminate your benefits?

pattytx

Effectively, you did quit. You were not able to get to your job. The employer did not have to maintain you as an employee while you worked out your transportation issues.

You took a job. Then you moved to a location from where you could not get to that job on a consistent basis. Generally speaking, yes, quitting a job disqualifies you from benefits. Especially since you knew when you moved that you couldn't get to the job at this time.

cros

Well yes, I understand that quitting is not generally a valid reason to receive unemployment. However, my question is that since I have been awarded the benefits, would they be annuled due to the fact that I did quit a job after.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Getting a job generally disqualifies you for further benefits, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">