• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If fired for stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maryley

What is the name of your state? CA
Hello,
We have two employee's who are stealing from us by not ringing up the items and mis-ringing, for example charging $1.00 or nothing for items that would be about $7.00 when properly rung up. I call this stealing. My question is, can an employee collect unemployment if they are fired for stealing? Do we need to have the security videos to prove the stealing, or is my word and my husbands word enough? We have seen at least four instances of this "stealing" on our security cameras and have noted it on the journal roll from the register. How much proof of stealing does an employer need to prevent someone from claiming unemployment?

Thank you.

H

hexeliebe

My question is, can an employee collect unemployment if they are fired for stealing?
It depends entirely on what proof you have to substantiate the charges.

Do we need to have the security videos to prove the stealing, or is my word and my husbands word enough?
Not only do you need the videos to prove the theft, you'd damn well better have them when the people you let go decide to sue you. Remember, this is America. ANYONE can sue.

We have seen at least four instances of this "stealing" on our security cameras and have noted it on the journal roll from the register. How much proof of stealing does an employer need to prevent someone from claiming unemployment?
Good recordkeeping. And the second answer is who knows. You have done your homework. When they file for unemployment just be honest and let UC know they were fired for theft then if there is an appeal hearing, present your evidence.

I am surprised you aren't talking to the police with your evidence. So, why not?

HomeGuru

Maryley said:
What is the name of your state? CA
Hello,
We have two employee's who are stealing from us by not ringing up the items and mis-ringing, for example charging $1.00 or nothing for items that would be about $7.00 when properly rung up. I call this stealing. My question is, can an employee collect unemployment if they are fired for stealing? Do we need to have the security videos to prove the stealing, or is my word and my husbands word enough? We have seen at least four instances of this "stealing" on our security cameras and have noted it on the journal roll from the register. How much proof of stealing does an employer need to prevent someone from claiming unemployment?

Thank you.
**A: file a police report then fire their asses for theft. This would be a just cause termination of which they would not be able to collect UE benefits.

Beth3

I've never understood employers hesitating to fire employees who are engaging in gross misconduct over fears that they might collect UC. YOU HAVE TWO THIEVES IN YOUR EMPLOY. No matter what happens, you are far better off without them.

That said, it does sound as though you have ample evidence to contest UC benefits for them. I suggest you contact the police first, file a complaint and then terminate the two crooks. Better yet, if the police show up to arrest them, you can tell them then.

H

hexeliebe

I think Beth has come over to the """""Dark side""""" :eek:

Maryley

Thank you all for your replies...and I must say you ALL seem pretty darn cuddly...

And to answer your question about not calling the police is we are wimpy. OK??? It just sounds like it would be a horrible, embarrasing, messy scene. Wimps like us abhor those....

HomeGuru

Maryley said:
Thank you all for your replies...and I must say you ALL seem pretty darn cuddly...

And to answer your question about not calling the police is we are wimpy. OK??? It just sounds like it would be a horrible, embarrasing, messy scene. Wimps like us abhor those....

**A: wimps do not a good business owner make.

Yoda

H

hexeliebe

WHIPS?????

Are we talking WHIPS and Beth in the same sentence????:eek:

Beth3

Hahaha. Guys, I'm on the fourth day of a nasty head cold and you've actually managed to cheer me up.

hex, after being in HR for so many years, I assure you I AM on the dark side. I just don't show it to you all that often as you'd get FAR too excited.

Maryley, call the police. Do you want these guys to just skate off and go victimize another storekeeper the way they have you??? It's time these two losers learned that actions have consequences. The cops won't make a big scene. They're pros at this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

WHEN I GET FIRED FOR STEALING sung to the tune of
"When I Fall In Love"

When I get fired for stealing,
it will be forever,
and I'll never work with cash.

In the business world,
like this is
theft can end a business before its begun
and too many moonlight 5 finger discounts
seem to cool in the warmth of the sun.

When I steal, I'm giving my employer the finger
it will be completely
or I'll never give my employer the finger (oo let me give my heart)

And the moment I can feel that you're video taping me, too
(I feel that way too)
is when I'll stop stealing from you
(I'll steal from you)
(both)
with or without you

(both)
When I'm stealing from you,
it will be forever
unless you fire me, I'll never stop
(oo I'll never never stop stealing from you)
in a restless world like this is
theft will end your business before its begun
and too many moonlight thefts
seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

(both)
When I gave you my word,
it was never completely

and I'll always give (I'll always give)
the finger to you (oo I'll always give the finger)
and the moment that you catch me,
I'll scream "discrimination"
and "Title VII"!

is when I'll stop stealing

it's when I'll stop stealing when you fire me

is the day when I stop stealing from you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">