• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if he ffires me when i'm trying to resign...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scarletthaze

What is the name of your state? PA

If my boss tells me to just leave now, when i'm trying to resign and give a month's notice, Would I be eligible for unemployment? I'm picking up and moving to a new city. i don't even have a new job lined up. I am planning on resigning on monday and giving him a month's notice to hire someone else and I'll train them. I work for a VERY small company and no one else here knows how anything here in the art department even works. Thing is, I kind of have to work that extra month so by the end of it, i'll have enough in my savings account to be able to pay my bills for 2 months while i look for a new job.

I don't really think my boss will tell me to just go, because he'd be shooting himself in the foot as we just got a new computer system and the woman who covers for me when i go on vacation hasn't bothered to come down and learn it. He's not really that kind of person. He's a good guy.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if i'd be eligible for unemployment benefits if he tells me to take a walk a month earlierr than I was expecting.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your boss accepts your resignation effective immediately (which is more accurate than saying he is firing you) it will depend on your exact circumstance and your state law whether or not you can collect unemployment. Only an adjudicator from your state can say for certain.

Based on my experience with the PA unemployment system, my best guess is that yes, you will be able to collect, but the final decision will belong to the state.

nash ville

as what you've said, your company is very much in need of your service. i assume that he'll not let you go unless you already have a replacement. who knows, it's also possible that he might ask you to just stay or extend for another month or so. that will basically depend on you. good luck on your future plans. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">